Mercur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by venom0706, Feb 27, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I am new to traditional shaving and I want to order one of these two DE razors - Mercur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89 . Which one do you think is the better? I have shaved only once with a DE razor, but I really want to get into it. Also, I want the razor to be good and also to last me at least 10 years. Thank you.

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I prefer the head on the EJ89 and it's a few dollars cheaper on Amazon. It's a great razor to learn good technique with and you can upgrade later if you need or want to.

3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

They are both very good razors. I do not know where you are at, but if it were me I would order and buy a Weber 3pc. Bulldog. It's all Stainless Steel and is American made. http://www.weberrazor.com/products
    It's $70.00 great quality and Made in America. JMHO

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  4. cmorris357

I believe the OP is in Bulgaria and in process of moving to the UK. I'm not sure how many options are open to him but either of the razors he mentioned are good. But I agree the Weber is a step above either and should last a lifetime. My RAD is saying why not all three? Lol

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have to agree if he's not in the United States of America. :eatdrink047:

6. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

It is in the UK. I am moving to the UK next week and ordering from the UK Amazon. Also, I believe both are covered with chrome. But chrome does get rusty over time, doesn't it? Which one will last me longer in the long term? Thanks and much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  7. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

They are both great razors and either one will be an awesome choice. You can't lose! Choose the one that appeals to you the most and get it.

8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Chrome doesn't rust. The main issue with either of those razors is underneath the chrome plating. They're made of Zamak, a zinc alloy. If you take care of them, either should probably last 10 years but if the chrome plating starts to come off, the zinc will corrode. Either one is a pretty good choice though.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. cmorris357

Either will last if you take care of it. When I finish shaving I rinse the razor good then shake off the water and pour alcohol over it. The alcohol will displace the water and then evaporate. This serves to protect the razor and disinfect it at the same time.

10. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Didn't know Weber made a black tip clone.

In response to the OP. I haven't had a Merkur in a few years but I remember the shave was better (more aggressive slightly) in the Merkur than the EJ. Though the EJ was flawless in finish. Again keep in mind they are both pot metal. My Merkur died after 6 months when I dropped it in the sink. Its screw came off the top plate and got stuck in the handle. That's not uncommon with pot metal razors.

Chrome doesnt rust. Iron rusts. Steel rusts (iron alloy).

11. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

They're both nice and either would be great. I prefer the EJ89. As long as you dont beat the chrome off of it, it will last forever.
    The chrome on the Ej's is allways perfect as well. I have 3 Merkurs, fine tools and I love them, but the finish isnt as good.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  12. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Ej89

CyanideMetal likes this.
  13. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Thank you very much for all the responses. I ordered the EJ89b. I hope it will do a fine job. Can you please tell me more info of how to clean it properly after shaving in order for it to last longer? Also, can you recommend me good blades for it? I saw at Amazon a pack of 100 Derby blades for £4.50, which I believe is a great deal and will last me a lifetime. Are they any good? Thank you.

14. cmorris357

Blades are not something someone can recommend. What works for me might be terrible for you. Search the internet for razor blade sample packs and order one that includes several different brands. Then when you find one you really like you can order them in bulk. As for taking care of the razor just rinse it well after every shave, shake off the excess water, and if you want you can soak it with alcohol and let it air dry. Every time you take it apart to change blades it's a good idea to wash each piece with dish washing soap and water, maybe scrubbing lightly with an old toothbrush to clean off old lather and soap scum. Then let it dry, load up a new blade, and it's ready for the next shave.

15. cmorris357

I forgot to mention, I went back to your earlier posts and saw where you had a Yuma razor. You are going to be surprised at how much heavier the Edwin Jagger razor is. Use very light pressure when shaving. Let the weight of the razor do the work.

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have both the Merkur 34C and the EJ89.....The EJ(as a 3 piece razor) I.M.O. is a "GREAT" choice, it will last as long as the plating does and will serve you well...Most modern razors shave heads are made of "pot metal" so the chrome finish is very important on them...Chrome won't rust, stainless steel can rust if not given minimal care and pot metal will corrode once the plating is gone...
    If you find you like the EJ a Gillette "Fat Handle Tech" gives me a similar shave, perhaps slightly milder, than the EJ and I.M.O., as they are American made of brass, would be a step up...You can get them off ebay for a reasonable price if you put in the time to hunt for them..:happy088:

HolyRollah likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have the EJDE89. Good solid razor. You can us either and not go wrong.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    bzero007 and HolyRollah like this.
  18. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

What about shaving soap? Which would you recommend me? Also, can I use canned shaving gel and shave with a DE razor? I used such on my first DE shaving and it went really good. So it can work, right?

19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Yes, it will work, it just won't be as good as it could be. Make certain you put the foam onto a well hydrated beard. I'm no expert on soaps, but I do enjoy the Proraso green cream.

20. cmorris357