Gillette Super Speed Flare tip

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dapper-in-a-can-man, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

So, I posted this pic the other day, and just shaved with it today. I think I've found my niche with aggressive razors (thanks to Cool Breeze :cool:;):D ) I honestly didn't enjoy my shave as much as I did with the Sheraton, Cadet OC 26, or the GEM I'm being loaned. So, this being said, does anyone have the same experience, or any tips? I had a great angle, great pressure, lather, and a new blade. Thank you all.

:cool:
    Dapper

Attached Files:

2. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

Each razor is different and requires different handling technique. The Super Speed is a fairly mild razor and needs a different touch than an aggressive razor. I'd use is for at least a week (preferably longer) to learn the finer points before deciding to give up on it. I've always had great shaves from Super Speeds, especially the 40s style.

Bobcat and BudWhite like this.
  3. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

I love the fact that you can buff your entire face and neck with almost no worries of cutting yourself. :)

Bobcat likes this.
  4. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Don't get me wrong, I got a great shave, I just think I was fairly disappointed. I'm glad it's a popular razor though, it can sell well if I change my mind. :p

That is a good point. I was able to do touch ups well with no concern of razor burn.

I think I fell in love with the Sheraton, and am trying to base it off of that. After I use the Fat Handle Tech I will spend some quality time the SS.

5. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

What was disappointing about it?

6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've got a Sheraton, a couple of Super Speeds (mid 60's), and a '59 Red Tip (plus a bunch of other Gillettes). The mid 60's Super Speeds are definitely mild and too mild for me (never tried a 40's SS). The Sheraton and the Red Tip are much more to my liking as they're more aggressive and do a better job with my beard.
    If you get a chance you might take a Red Tip for a spin sometime. I think compared to the Sheraton it's a touch more aggressive yet has a smoother feel (if that makes sense). They're both great razors for me but it seems IMO that the Red Tip may benefit from some engineering advances.

7. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

What is the date code on that bad boy? The ones from thee 50's are more aggressive than the ones from the 60's. They are both great you just need to shave with it a few times to get angle correct etc. The thing I like about them is they are a fantastic intro DE Safety Razor, there were so many made and they were so popular they can be had inexpensively (on a relative scale). If you give it some time you will get some awesome shaves with it.

8. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I can't find one on it.

9. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

Look underneath the razor. There will be a letter followed by the number 1-4. If it's a D-1 in mint condition I want it(my birth quarter).

10. Dapper-in-a-can-man

11. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

I'm impressed! You figured out the date code.

1966 was not such a bad year, if one can overlook that Kofax was still a Dodger.

12. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I do what I can :p I couldn't find it on the fat handle tech nor the Sheraton. I'm so inexperienced :oops:

13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I too favor the uber aggressive. That being said, I love my collection and will from time to time whip out 50's super speed or my EJ . It's nice to have a choice though.
    Gotta admit, when I want a super tight, bbs slick, I will reach for one of my Gems or my 69 SA. Recently its been then the R41 Holy Rollah loaned me. Now that's a nice, aggressive de.

14. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

After shaving with an R41, everything else seems pretty vanilla. However I just had an excellent shave with a '69 travel tech head on a weber handle.

And my 40's Superspeed is a superb mild shaver. It's nice to just whip that razor around without having to concentrate too much every once in a while.

With a sharp blade and decent technique, anyone can get a close shave.

15. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I was just looking at an R41. Ahhhh RAD!!!!

16. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

The Gem SE's are on par as far as aggressiveness. The R41 is the only de I've ever used that gives as sweet and aggressive results. Love the R41

17. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

Ever ready 1914. Will definitely keep you focused on the job at hand.

18. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Sweet mild shavers are a dime a dozen. For a truly aggressive beast, you have to go SE or R41.
    My 69 Black Beauty is aggressive but still doesnt compare to a Gem OC or the R41.

19. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Yessir, I love me some SE's.

20. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water