Wanting a boar brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Omelmad, Mar 1, 2014.

1. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Order from Connought Shaving based out of UK. Even with shipping theyre cheaper often than USA vendors.

Omelmad likes this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I will check out the prices on their website =D hope I find it to my liking

3. Omelmad

That was great advice, 2£ for shipping. That's the stuff

4. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

If you haven't made a decision, please look at the Semogue brushes on Vintage Scent. They are wonderful.

Omelmad likes this.
  5. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I use a VDH Badger every day. My favorite by far. I find myself using my AOS pure badger alot too.

Omelmad likes this.
  6. Omelmad

I will look at that first =)

7. Omelmad

AOS is a bit expensive for me at the moment =) Im gonna stick to mine for now =P I think Im getting the VDH badger when I buy the 12 VDH soaps in May =D

8. Omelmad

[​IMG]
    This one looks good =) is it though? I feel like more people appreciate omega brushes more than semouge

Cool Breeze likes this.
  9. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

It's all personal preference I mean a ton of people like the best shave #6 over omega and semogue and it's a 2 dollar brush. The more you use a boar the more you're going to get out of it. I've been forcing myself to use My Koh I noor boar brush every day and I can notice a difference every day

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Omelmad

I thought they might be a bit better

11. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

I think it's more price point for some of us than it is brush performance. Like why pay 24 bucks for a semogue when I can get an omega for 8.

Omelmad likes this.
  12. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

The painted wood handles may chip.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have an Omega 10098 and a 10049. I also have a Semogue 2000.
    All lather up very well, but the Omegas have a denser knot, which I prefer.
    I also had to refinish the handle on my Semogue due to the finish cracking and peeling around the knot, something quite a few folks have experienced. ---> *click*

14. Omelmad

hahaha I think like that too =P

15. Omelmad

Thank you =) good to know

16. Omelmad

I dont have that kind of stuff laying around the house (student apartment) so I wont be able to do that =P but It really looked great =)

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My point about the Semogue was more that with wooden handles sometimes the wood can absorb water and become soft, even rotting out. And, as fram773 said, the paint can chip off wooden handles. Plastic and acrylic handles will not have such issues.

Now that's not to say all wooden handles will have issues. Like I said with the refinish of the Semogue, it's been almost four years and I've had zero issues; still use it in my rotation. I also have a red mallee burl handle from Elite Razor that I've had zero issues with.

Omelmad likes this.
  18. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

Omelmad- I just used the West Coast Shaving link as an example. Semogue is based in Portugal, so I would imagine they're readily available the world over. Omega for that matter too. I bet with a little digging, you could find plenty of brushes locally, or at least a website much closer by.

19. Omelmad

Thank you =) it was god advice

20. Omelmad

I know what you mean I was joking, sometimes it's difficult to get that through to the other person in a forum =P

swarden43 likes this.