Does more frequent shaving determine the speed of hair growth?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by venom0706, Mar 6, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I am curious whether if I start shaving every morning (I currently shave every 2 days), my facial hair will start growing faster and multiply or this is just a myth and facial hair grows at the same rate no matter how often you shave? Thank you.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Short answer to your title - No.
    Yup - it's a myth.

178-bplatoon and offroad64 like this.
  3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

My experience is that a lot of people actually believe it grows slower when using a DE or a straight. But, I think that is merely because they are shaving better and therefore their faces look and feel smoother.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

+1:signs011:

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I discovered that I have no problem shaving every day now. I think my chances of any increased hair growth peaked at around age 19 and I am well past that point in life!

6. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

At this point we start loosing it in places we do want and growing in places we don't want:happy102:

7. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard that one. I heard the one about it growing thicker. Which I think is preposterous. Otherwise we'd all have finger sized hairs and pores :eek: There is too much old wives tales around. I was victim to this. My grandma told my parents not to cut my hair until I was one. Thus I was running around with a pony tail so I could see. Then a mullet. My parent's didn't know any better...

178-bplatoon and macaronus like this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hair growth rate is controlled by hormones and other body chemistry. Sorry, but shaving more doesn't change growth rate.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

:signs011:

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Before starting wet shaving in 2008 I would only shave my goatee and moustache area and that infrequently. Since then it does seem like my beard comes in thicker and quicker than before. Now if I skip a day of shaving my beard is noticeable and uncomfortable , that didn't happen before wet shaving.

11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have never heard of this before. However, I have had conversations with friends who claimed that frequent shaving would make facial hair grow back thicker. That is a lie because I shaved everyday during basic and my deployment, only to get even but slow growth.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

When I was a bit younger my father told me the secret to more facial hair growth:
    1. rub salt over your chin, cheeks, upper lip and neck.
    2. as a result, the hairs get thirsty
    3. hold a pint of beer in front of your face
    4. the thirsty hairs stretch towards the beer
    5. very quickly lay knots in the hairs so they can't pop back
    6. voila: beard!
    I'd say: try it and tell us how you did! Remember to take pics! (filming the process is allright as well!)

13. richgem

Your father is wise beyond his beers.

macaronus likes this.
  14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Ask Kramer.

15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yes he was!
    He had a motto: better that the children have wet feet than that the father has a dry throat!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. richgem

I think I get the gist of that at least. A good saying.

macaronus likes this.
  17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My brother-in-law, father-in-law, and several of my cousins on my Mom's side of the family and I have the so-called Mediterranean colouring - swarthy skin and a "green beard" which is very dark and grows very fast and is heavy. I started shaving at the tender age of fourteen and I've had that kind of beard ever since.

19. richgem

Jeff, don't be so modest. You were the only kid in kindergarten that could shave on demand. :D

:innocent

[​IMG]

Hanzo, fram773, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  20. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Oh dear... I first read: "My Mother-in-law...":shocked003: Sorry! :scared003:

crackstar likes this.