The Best Shave Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by olafurson, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mojper

mojper New Member

I like to read reviews on internet and I find one good review (click here) about Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap. I give that one a try and now I am sure that for a long time I will not change my mind about that choice...

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Although there are a couple of good soaps in that review, there are many fine soaps missing from it. The deck was kind of stacked for the Mitchell soap. Mitchell Wool Fat is a love hate kind of soap. You either love it or hate it but then again it's all about personal preference. Find some Institute du Karite and try that.

HolyRollah and PatrickA51 like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have to second your statement. I have not used MWF, and probably will never use it, for the simple fact I think it's over Priced. I also kind of feel it over rated by people. I use VDH soap, I have some Stirling soaps that I got as a PIF. I like the Stirling Soaps but there again what one person thinks about a brand of soap is not necessarily what my feels of that brand. I like Williams Soap also. I also like VanDer Haggen & Williams mixed together. But some body else may think it's horrible.

4. PatrickA51

They did a good review on several different Shaving Soaps.
    The only thing that would keep me from reading their reviews is that you have to Like them on Facebook.......I think everyone is being held hostage by having to like some one on FaceBook. Face book is a waste of time.

5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Imperial Barber - Only soap I have been able to use without any adverse reactions.

I would have added PDP, I loved that soap at first, but a few tries in and it started to irritate me, such a shame as it offered decent protection, top-notch glide, and the smoothness was top-notch as well.

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Yes, there is something a little different in the Pre de Provence. I pick it up, shave a couple of time and then put it back down. I'm kind of undecided on it.

7. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

MWF can be had for $8.67 a cake from Connaught. and Stirling is a quite soft soap...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  8. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I have been trying many and cella or razorock r160 have to be in your collection

9. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I have tried it a few times and I am not sold in it either

10. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I've been really impressed with the VDH luxury soap. I like it better than any of the other soaps I've tried so far.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I just acquired a puck of Institut Karite and look forward to trying it out.
    Okay, that's 3 not-so-keen reviews (including Fram's) of Pre De Provence. I also received the PIF puck of PDP today as well, so it's in the queue to be tried.
    If you don't care for the price of MWF, Patrick, then you're really not going to like the price on Martin De Candre—my current favorite—which surpassed both MWF and Tabac in my book.

So many good soaps, so little time…… ;)

12. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

TABAC is always hard to beat. I really enjoy the scent of the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood and the Trumper's Sandalwood... best scents of all to me.

13. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Active Member

A very personal choice to be sure: Some of my favorites

a. Nancy Boy Signature...a fantastic product at a very good price
    b. Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet
    c. Acqua di Parma
    d. Xpec (really good)
    e. Alvarez Gomez from Madrid
    f. Stroppe Shop (a small artisan soap that is very good)

On the hard soap side:

a. MWF and Tabac are very good and cheap tallow soaps
    b. Klar Siefen is oustanding
    c. DR Harris are above average
    d. Mike's (another small artisan soap but above average)
    e. Art of Shaving

14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Considering that MWF will last and last and last, up to a year in daily use, it is actually far cheaper than your favored VDH.

15. PatrickA51

I'm just Cheap !!!!:angry019: :shocked003:

jeraldgordon likes this.
  16. PatrickA51

:signs011:

What I said above, if "She Who Must be Obeyed" gets me some I might just try it! :happy088: :shocked002: :happy096:

jeraldgordon likes this.