Ogallala Shave Sticks, anyone?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Jasman, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I received a gift certificate to West Coast Shaving for my upcoming birthday, and wanted to use it to explore products I haven't tried, in scents that I haven't tried. One I'm strongly considering is the Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood.

Who's tried this brand? Who's tried this scent? Opinions on performance, scent, etc?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have! I really liked it. I liked it so much my son took it from me..

jeraldgordon likes this.
  3. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I love Ogallala. My favorite is the Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns which smells awesome.

4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I strongly considered that one, but I wanted to try Godrej Lime for a lime scent and to compare the Godrej cream against Speick for performance, since I'm very limited in shaving cream experience.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've tried it in puck form, not the stick.
    Lathered up pretty good. I like the scent; a bit powdery, but nice.

6. Hersh

Hersh Well-Known Member

I like the bay rum and sandalwood nice smell

7. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Stick with the Limes & Peppercorn IMHO (of course, I'm not a big sandalwood fan), it's my favorite variation of Bay Rum scent.

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"And it tastes good too!" -- Blanka

I've used the puck, not the stick. It's a good soap, for sure. I'm partial to the Lime/peppercorn/bay rum too.

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Sage and Cedar. I have the soap, deo, and after shave. Soap is moisturizing and slick, but a bit thirsty and lacks cushion. Concentrate on your water ratios to fluff the lather for more cushion. The scent of Ogallala products really shines but they are no slouches in the performance department.

10. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

SPICY!

richgem likes this.
  11. Agent406

Agent406 New Member

Just got my stick in the mail, but haven't used it. I am saving it for travel; however the Sandalwood aftershave is my favorite.

12. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Bay Rum & Sweet Orange! (not a fan of Sandalwood so much...)
    Easily one of my top ten.
    Lathers furiously.
    Smell is subtle, but very nice.
    Easily as slick as VDH deluxe.(also in my top ten)
    A bargain for the price.

13. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

I have the Ogallala bay rum & sandalwood shave stick. First stick for me and it works well, will be good for traveling. Good lather and smooth on the face.

Jasman likes this.
  14. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I use Ogallala shave sticks when traveling. They work very well for me. Using a shave stick is not as enjoyable as a more traditionally applied soap or cream, but once you're lathered up, it's the same stuff. Also with sticks, I don't think you get as much bang for your buck as compared to a puck soap. For these reasons, I don't use the sticks at home, but they're very practical for traveling.

Scent-wise, I am not a fan of sandalwood. I love the Ogallala straight Bay Rum and the Limes & Peppercorns scents.

15. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I got the bay rum stick. Great scent, and better than expected lather. I use it to uber with my Arko-in-bowl. Makes a great face lather combo.

16. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Working through a sample of Sage & Cedar.
    Love it!

17. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

That's my favorite from them. I initially bought a stick and matching AS and then picked up some of the limes as well.

18. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Any tips on lathering? The lather from this AM was. . . Williams-esque

19. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

Sticks or pucks? I've never had trouble with the stick, just rub it on and lather up. I've had some trouble with pucks in the past. I think I figured out to start slightly wet and build lather on the top of the puck and then face lather.

20. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Stick. Rubbed it on, lathered up. looked like I was trying to lather Dove soap.