Shavette or Straight?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by nsomnac, Mar 27, 2014.

1. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

So I'm recent new to DE and love it. I'm now intrigued by the straight - but not sure which way to start...

Shavette? - just need to get a holder like a Parker or Dovo (or Feather AS). I can technically just break DE blades to start.

Straight? - need to get a razor, have it honed, and get a strop.

Recently I read the post comparing the two - and at the end kind of my conclusion is that while similar that they are each quite different animals - but how is the transition from Shavette to Straight? Is it enough difference to say someone who would love/hate a Shavette would love/hate a Straight (or vice versa)?

And really what makes the Feather AS so much better and more comparable to a regular straight?

Any advice one can provide?

Thanks in advance!

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As you discovered in your comparative research, they are two different critters with differing feels and how they are used.
    Having never used a shavette, I cannot say how they compare to straight razor shaving. I must rely upon the opinions of those who have used both styles of razors. The majority of opinions seem to be: if you want to go from DE shaving to straight razor shaving, don't go the shavette route as a means of transitioning. No benefit is to be gained as the technique (the angle, etc.) for shavettes is different.

The closest DE razor that compare to the 'feel' of a straight razor shave is the older version (2011) of the Mühle R41. This razor requires good prep, good blade, attention to detail and proper technique to pull off a great shave—all the same components a straight razor shave requires. Using the R41 was a good transitional experience for me going from DE razors to straights.

vwp528 likes this.
  3. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

The majority of opinions I've read on here recently seem to consider the two distinctly different and not easily adapted from one to the other. That being said, I started with a cheap disposable half-of-a-double-edge-razor holder, which I found to be really lightweight and easy to learn angles on, and I found I used the same angles for both. Then, making the transition to real straights, the only challenge was that the real blades are heavier, and therefore I had to adapt my grip for better balance. Shaving with a good, keen, full hollow straight is actually, in my opinion, easier to get a good shave. The DE blades are less forgiving, and tend to nick viciously if you lose your focus, which I ocaisionally did. A real straight flexes to the contours of your face and is much kinder to your face. The downside is all the work to maintain a real straight. It is a big comitment of time compared to the DE route.

vwp528 and Waate like this.
  4. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I am equally happy with disposable blade straight razors (a.k.a. shavettes) as I am with traditional straight razors. I actually found that as my technique improved with traditional straight razors the disposable ones became easier to use too. The two types of razors are different, but they have enough in common that good technique with one can help to improve your technique with the other.

Bristle Me, lindyhopper66 and Waate like this.
  5. Waate

Waate Member

Well, that is exactly how I started out. I think it allowed me to learn the basics before getting a true straight and doing the upkeep. With that being said when I did transition to a straight I found it was MUCH easier than the shavette. Much smoother shave and the upkeep Is really very minimal. If you have a shave ready razor and a good strop and either a barber hone or a pasted strop you will be good to go for months if not years. The upkeep seems daunting but it is very simple. So I guess either way is good but if I had to do it over again I would go straight to a straight. :) if you decide to go with the shavette first just know that is a valid and fun way to go too.

6. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

I've done both and straights are so much more fun in so many ways. I love the 'upkeep' of stropping and honing. Plus the weight of real steel is just so much more pleasing to the hand and the face.

Also...they're just more bad---.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
    Mr. Oldschool and Waate like this.
  7. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Suggest... Go with the Feather str8. Best of all worlds!

8. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I've never used a straight , but I can give you an opinion on shavattes. They can give you wonderful, irritation free shaves ,and just glide across your face so smooth that you will look every now and then just to check did it really shave anything or it just glides around doing nothing. And on the other hand if you put down your guard, and forget to watch your technique it will hurt you. I haven't cut my self once in 6 months of using a half DE shavette and then one day I almost sliced my earlobe open , and a few days before that i had a nice cut under my sideburn. But it still gives wonderful shaves and I would never give it up :)

9. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Yep, been there done that... Focus is critical in any straight shaving, but the unforgiving shavette blades are where it is most essential.

10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I haven't used a shavette. Love my true straights though but I would be lying if I said I haven't considered a Feather Artist Club for travelling into the field where a disposable blade would be much more convenient.

11. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

I guess my question is why and how? Are Feather AS series just heavier in weight? Or is their holder make it shaped more like a hollow ground? I know they use their own injector like blade - but never seen or held one up close. But what makes these work like a regular straight instead of a shavette?

12. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

That seems to be the consensus - shavettes seem to have a lot of similarities to a box cutter - both being very unforgiving.

Now is a regular straight just more forgiving because of the ability to customize the sharpness and edge through hone and strop? Or is it really a characteristic of the blade itself. I have a hard time buying that a shavette flexes less than a regular str8 - but maybe the blades are made of something more akin to sping steel?

13. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Hmm that might be an interesting idea to try, however some quick searches fail to yield any pre 2013 R41s. I'm guessing setting the Fat Boy or Slim to 9 probably doesn't come close given they aren't even open combs.

14. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

nothing compares, really. You just have to man up and go for it.

15. Waate

Waate Member

I have often wondered this and have researched it and I have yet to find anything but a bunch of educated guesses and opinions. Mine is this- maybe it's because the blade is longer on a straight then a DE blade. A straight is around 3 inches long so maybe it's harder for it to dig in. Some say it's the type of metal, thickness, ect. And maybe it is all of these things. One thing it is not is that a DE is sharper than a straight. Not saying that some blades are not sharper than some straights but according to Verhoeven a straight razor can be (the one in his study was) as sharp as a Gillette DE blade. So I don't think this is why but to reiterate. I haven't seen anything but people's opinions on this matter (my own included). One thing I know is that Straights ARE more forgiving. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What is this "forgiving" when it comes to a razor sharp edge? I've heard it said of DE blades, as well. Does it mean that it will warn you? "Hey, Bud. Better watch it. I'll let it go this time, but try that move again and I'm gonna slice ya, but good." A razor sharp edge is a razor sharp edge, even a str8 in need of honing, and all will bite you if you fail to pay attention and not respect the edge, be it Str8, DE or SE.

I don't buy into blades being "forgiving." I do accept that a RAZOR may be mild or aggressive, but again, take one across your cheek parallel to the edge of the blade and you'll get bit - no forgiveness what so ever.

Waate likes this.
  17. Waate

Waate Member

Yes. I guess I use the term loosely figuring most that have used both straight and shavettes understand but I can see what you're saying. When I say less forgiving I mean that I get many more cuts and weepers and irritation from a shavette then a straight. With a straight it is almost as if it really does say "watch out! Next time I will cut you but this time I'll let it go" whereas a shavette seems to say "bam! I told you I will make you pay if your angle is that high and your pressure is that much". Maybe it's me but that is what I have experienced.

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The newer 2013 R41 models are comparable to the 2011, but a bit smoother. Comparison

19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I prefer a regular straight. One thing I've noticed about a shavette is that the more I use them the better I get. I think if I would use one exclusively, I'd get pretty good with one. But that's the problem, I like shaving and maintaining my regular straights. A shavette will provide as good of shave as you can get and are inexpensive, very similar to a regular straight but I wouldn't base a shave with a shavette as a true straight razor experience. Good luck.

Waate likes this.
  20. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

I think there is a level of forgiveness that's some function of sharpness, edge shape, and thickness of the blade. I believe there's some combination of the three that allow the blade to cut through hairs easier than skin. Somewhat like a physics problem: why does diet soda explode when menthos are in contact? It's because the shape of the dimpling on the menthos causes a physical reaction (not a chemical one). My theory is that razors are the same way, I think thicker blades cut hair better than skin and hold up better (folks seem to complain of razor burn more frequently, but are often the choice recommended for beginners)... Thinner blades cut everything better but don't hold an edge as long (why you hear folks saying Feathers are not for beginners)...

It makes some amount of sense that a str8 could be more forgiving depending upon the type of blade I suppose in combination of its honed edge. I think this is that mild vs aggressive but not sure how a str8 is mild or aggressive.