The gillette adjustable fatboy: oh what a razor!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by aelfred_allspach, Mar 17, 2014.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Red Tip is a great razor.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some of us members here are even more vintage than that old manual! ;)

Wawmd likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Agreed. It was my favorite of all the SuperSpeeds I have owned.

4. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

What is the main difference in shaving with a red tip than a normal superspeed?

5. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Aelfred- you,be sold me on the fat boy- need to get one now :)

aelfred_allspach likes this.
  6. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Yes, if in decent shape. I picked up a very, very nice Fatboy for $45.00 including shipping from one of the shave forums. For this razor, a saw a post on one of the shave forums where a guy said he had several Fatboys. I sent a PM asking him if would sell me one. The rest is history. I have found the majority of folks on the shave forums are not in it for profit but to share. Be patient and stay on top of the various shave forums. Make posts in WTBs. Ebay is not my favorite but you can find a good deal if you are persistent. I have seen Ebay Fatboys in a whole lot worse condition going for much, much more which is discouraging . I wish you the best in acquiring one.

BroonsBane likes this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

The Red Tip is the most aggressive of the super speeds.

8. BroonsBane

BroonsBane Member

Thanks kindly for that.
    I've only been here a short time but what I noticed immediately is a strong sense of community, of folks wanting to help each other. I really admire that.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Red Tip also feels different in the hand from the other SS razors—compact, more heavily knurled handle, good balance, and as mentioned, a more aggressive shaver.
    [​IMG]

BigT likes this.
  10. Boaz

Boaz Something different

I quite agree, the Fatboy is indeed some razor. I love mine and I'm glad I tried it.

11. bklinch

bklinch New Member

I've been wanting a Fatboy for some time now. The prices on eBay get too high for me though.

12. Wawmd

Wawmd Member

I've acquired three E1 fatboys. I use one as my daily driver. I have the other two tucked away in dry storage for my sons (ages 5 & 3) in hopes they'll want to shave like their old man.

bklinch likes this.
  13. NorthernShave

NorthernShave New Member

I find that both the FatBoy and the slim adjustable gives me a great shave. I feel that the slim gives a better shave, but the FatBoy feels so much better in the hand. YMMV :)

14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Same for me. I love my slims and get excellent shaves with them. But, I just can't get a decent shave with any of my fat boys.

15. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I'm hunting for a FB on the Bay and the prices are insane.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Times two.

17. markjnewcomb

What seems to be the going price now?

18. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

Several Buy It Now's are going for $150. Ones w/o bids are pretty much starting around $50. There is one going for $2,495.00...or best offer. No joke.

19. markjnewcomb

Yeah, that seems pretty steep to me, also. When a new Merkur Progress is going for about $60.00, it seems unreasonable to pay $150.00 for a used fat boy.

I can see the argument of paying more than $60.00 if you are interested in collecting, but over twice that much for an every day razor just seems like a joke.

20. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    You were made to be read? Share a photo?

:rofl:

<gasp, sniff-sniff>

... sorry