The GEM Micromatic trial

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sarge, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Sarge

Sarge Active Member

[​IMG]
    So I decide to try this GEM. I was not sure about the original blades that came with it, and did not really want to take a chance, so I bought some Gem and Treat single sided blades on Amazon. I have to admit it was a great shave, the angle made it easy to shave under my nose, and it was a close shave with a nick.

RaZorBurn123 and Slow Joe like this.
  2. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

That is beautiful, where did you get the Razor?

3. Sarge

Sarge Active Member

You can find them on eBay, I got it for $29.50 new, it still had the cardboard blade in. There are others on all the time.

4. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My favorite GEM is a bullet tip.

richgem likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yup. MMOC is a Gem of a razor!

PanChango likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Just make sure that the blade is seated correctly behind the tab. It can get ugly in a hurry.

Great razor.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    richgem and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Woohoo. I just scored one in the box just like it on ebay! I beat the same bid by 1 second! Yay, and sorry if I beat one of you.

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Nice score!

Tips and Tricks over here .

10. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I was so close to grabbing that :p

11. Sarge

Sarge Active Member

The only issue I have found are the blades which seem to rust once wet, I am testing removing blades and wrapping in toilet paper.
    I have both GEM and Treet which are the same. I was going to try the Treets and notice the cartridge dispenser looked the same. Upon closer inspection not only are the the same, but have the " American Razor Company" branded in the plastic. The blade have the same markings, oh well will have to try to find some others to try.

12. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Look at this medical supply place: http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1623602

I just ordered theese: Single Edge, Blue 3-Facet PAL® Blades

13. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Sounds like there is a good learning from experience story behind this.

14. Sarge

Sarge Active Member

For the price I can use a blade a day and still save hundred of $$$$ or €€€€or ££££ or ¥¥¥¥ depending where you live:D

15. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

The price for the coated Gem's aren't to shabby either.

16. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Oops Sorry. No... not really. :bounce015:

richgem and Dapper-in-a-can-man like this.
  17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

The blades you are using are carbon steel....many love them because they are so smooth, but you do have to deal with the rust business...

Not that bad though....After shaving I rinse and take the blade and blot dry with a bath towel making sure not to wipe the actual edge. Then I palm strop the edge 3 times on each side. Then one drop of baby oil on the edge and with the help of gravity I let the drop run the length of the edge and then put it back in the razor, which I have already dried with a bath towel..

With this procedure I usually get 3 superlative shaves with each blade....Now the Ted Pellas, EMS, and some of the Drug Store brands which are all rebranded Personna Stainless Steel Coated. These SS GEMS/Personnas don't rust. I usually get between 7 to 10 great shaves but most my friends seem to get like 15 great shaves...And the quality of these guys is very high aswel...I believe I prefer the quality of the Carbons by a hair, but the SS Coated GEMS are still better than any DE blade in my opinion, YMMV.

So I believe I will stockpile the SS GEMs for the Shavapocalypse, but I'll continue to spoil myself with the Carbons bought locally for like 3 shaves a week...But when traveling, definitely the SS's...

Let us know what you guys think...

fram773 likes this.
  18. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I never bid on things. I get to excited and Jack the price :p

19. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Very nice, love my Gems. I also prefer the carbon blades. The carbons IMO are much sharper. I pat mine dry and hit them vith a quick swipe of vaseline.