Borrowed R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cool Breeze, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I got 2, started a 3rd shave and it felt like it was ripping out the hair on my chin,didnt leave any redness, just very uncomfortable. Usually I get a tugging or unshaven patches when I push a dull blade. This time it went straight to ripping. No big deal, now I know 2 is all I get. Went from the GSB (which gave 2 sweet BBS shaves) to an Astra today. Put some butt behind it and wow, the Astra was identical to the GSB. Tom Im gonna throw in my SA's favorite the American made Personna and see whats shak'in. Im starting to think this razor doesnt care what it drives. We'll see tom.
    As for the razor itself, the more I pull it, the smoother it feels. Like I said, I'm putting a descent amount of pressure on it now (especially on the neck) and its running like snot on glass. I realy love this thing.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have had good success using Astras on both the 2013 and 2011 models.
    On the 2011 version, though, the Feathers seems to work 'better'—i.e. less resistance.
    And two shaves is pretty much the max mileage I get on blades in the R41s.

3. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

With the type of shaves I'm getting I wouldnt care if it was 1 shave per blade.The only other razor I get thease results with without scrubbing is my se's. To say the R41 is efficient would be a great understatement.

4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

You should shim it and see what kind of shave you get!!

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Absolutely! :eek:
    [​IMG]

CyanideMetal and Cool Breeze like this.
  6. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

To be honest, all I feel on my skin now is the blade, I dont think the bar comes into play much at all. Im an every day shaver, sometimes twice a day. I've noticed my next morning brillo isn't near as sharp with the R41. Same next day growth as my str8.

7. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Well after keeping holly rollah's fine R41 for WAY longed than I should have, its time to send it on.
    The R41 is IMO a fine tool and thanks to the generousity of your friend and mine, I'm hooked.
    Thanks again Kevin.

Omelmad and HolyRollah like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My pleasure, CB!
    Rumor has it you may soon be officially a member of the R41 Owner's Club—a small but growing community of wet-shavers who have come to appreciate and master one of the truly fine modern razors in today's crowded DE market.
    The R41 isn't to everyone's tastes or preferences in razors, but there are a number of us at TSD who make the R41 part of our regular morning routine.
    [​IMG]

Omelmad likes this.
  9. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I am > < that close to getting one.

Metro likes this.
  10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

So why did u keep it that long =P

11. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I bought a sampler pack of blades and it took a bit longer to run through them than I thought and on top of that, the wife and I bought a house and my life turned into 16 hour days, this was one of those situations where time totally got away from me.I was so busy and worn out days ran together and what felt like a few days was a couple weeks.

12. Omelmad

Yeah Life can get in the way sometimes =) I thought you disappeared for a while there.

So now you have time for TSD and probably already ordered the muhle 41 =P

And congratulations, bigger or smaller? =) I know you have said your sons have moved out, so my guess is smaller =P

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The fact of the matter is the R41 can be so addicting that all one thinks about is tomorrow's shave. One can lose all sense of space, time and reality when one comes under the spell of this Teutonic Temptress. Cool Breeze is the latest victim in a line of many whom have fallen for the allure of der 'über-close' shave….;)

Omelmad and Metro like this.
  14. Omelmad

Hahaha dude, you really love that razor. I just purchased my first DE I'm gonna stick with it for now.

I just tried a new blade, worked ALOT Better than the first blade I tried. But this time I only shaved my neck because before I started on the cheek and when the blade failed to slice off the stubble I had to use a used fusion head. It finished the job but I felt like I'm using leftovers hahaha

I've decided not to buy fusion blades because I will have a lot of those "I'm in a hurry days"

15. Omelmad

The muhle r41 is the same price as my muhle r89, how come it's that much "better" =P just because of the OC?

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The R89 is a closed bar/safety bar razor that is considered a fairly mild shaver. The R41 (from 2011 to the current version) is a modified OC razor—not a 'true' open comb, but one that is sort of a hybrid of both a standard safety bar and an open comb.
    Two Open Comb plates and the 2011 R41 (middle). Fewer & deeper-set teeth on the base plate.
    [​IMG]

"Better" is a subjective term in describing razors. What is 'better' for one person may NOT be the same for another. I will say the R41 is considerably MORE aggressive ('efficient') than the R89 (and pretty much 95% of all DEs out there). Both can get you to a close, smooth shave—but I venture to claim that the R41 will get you there in fewer passes and even closer —rivaling a straight razor. The downside for many is the R41 can be too aggressive and harsh—especially the 2011 version.

17. Omelmad

Hmm.. That sounds like something for me =P I have coarse stubble. But my muhle r89 is gonna be my friend for a while now =D

18. Omelmad

But when I do buy a more aggressive razor I might get the r41.

19. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I finally had my second shave with the 41. Same Lord blade I used almost two months ago. I had almost a week of growth so I was pretty shaggy. Awesomely close shave with absolutely no blood loss. This was infinitely better than the first shave. Lack of pressure is so much more critical with this razor.
    I was fairly apprehensive about using this razor again after my first experience where it looked like I took a cheese grater to my face and had intense razor burn for three days. Totally my fault. I don't think my sensitive skin could take this razor everyday but when a super close shave is desired this will definitely be one I reach for.

HolyRollah likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The difference in what the R41 can do really 'shines' when heavier growth (3-5 days, for example) is present. It is a fine 'everyday' razor providing the user does apply light pressure and one's skin can tolerate the closeness.