Suggestions for head shavers

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TitanTTB, Apr 5, 2014.

1. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I'm looking for brush input from head shavers.
    First of all I actually have a pretty thick mop of hair on my head but recently my father has expressed interest in wet shaving and I want to put a kit together for him. This will be his first brush and he head shaves as well. I'm thinking about trying to source either a vintage or artisan handle so my options are wide open as far as the style & knot selection.
    Personally I like smaller brushes in the 22mm range but my gut is telling me a larger 24-26mm knot in a longer barber style handle may be the way to go here. Do head shavers tend to paint lather? I'm thinking a longer loft would be better for that.

What do you all think?

2. Daiku

Daiku New Member

I often use a 22mm Whipped Dog synthetic on my head, and it performs very well. Actually, I think that a bigger knot is not at necessary.

I do use paintbrush strokes, which works fine.

TitanTTB likes this.
  3. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I paint, I scalp lather, I rub it in with my hands. I think a larger brush helps because there is just so much more real estate to cover and you need more soap. With that said, I think my brushes are all in 50mm loft range and around 20-22 mm knot size and all hold enough lather for 3 passes on my scalp.

TitanTTB likes this.