New 2-piece from Muhle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Chuck F, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

battle.munky likes this.
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Well there were those that felt the handle for the R41 and R89 were too light, basically forcing a lot of users to buy other handles from places like iKon or UFO; however the new design is noticably heavier due to the mechanism in the handle. Actually that was one of my complains about the R41 I used to own, I should see how much these will price at and try one out...

Chuck F likes this.
  3. Chuck F

Good point about the weight. A vendor on another forum says U.S. retail price will be $99.

4. Neolithium

Fortunately Connaught shaving will probably have a great price since us North Americans can get the Euro pricing and not have to pay VAT for it!

5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

99 bucks for a pot-metal razor? Wow.... :-S Trying not to put on the nay-hat, but that seems too much to be fair?

battle.munky, fram773 and Slipperyjoe like this.
  6. Neolithium

There's a lot of Zamak razors that are over this price, so it's not that unusual at all, and the $99 pricetag is the North American Muhle distributors who get insane pricing for some reason - for any Muhle, buying overseas and having it shipped drops the price by 25% usually.

Omelmad and PanChango like this.
  7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I shortly forgot all the US vs. Mühle debacle.

But still... I find it a steep price. Let's see when it hit the stores, maybe the price will regulate a bit.

8. HUF

HUF Active Member

Does not look as nice as three-piece R89. Could be because I do not really appreciate two-piece designs.

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Hmmmm....looks like the same head as all the rest of the 89s. I'm probably going to pass. My 3 piece 89 is perfect the way it is, featherlite handle and all.

It is interesting though.

10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

"I don’t know if Muhle is going to retire the “original” R89 in favor of the TWIST but I will update this post when I know more."

They cant retire a razor that cost about 40-50 $ and replace it with one that costs 99$. Do they really want to lose constumers? =P

11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That's not fair hahaha

Slow Joe likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This release seems to be taking a major amount of flak in a various forums so lets break some of the arguments down a little bit more.

Basically the main advantage of this razor is in loading the blade since you have one less piece to fidget with. Some will see that as a safer or more efficient method and others will see no benefit. The "I want one razor only" user who wants a good razor without a lot of parts to worry about might find this to be a good fit.

The real problem is that most of the serious "power" users have 2 piece, 3 piece, TTOs, etc., at their disposal and do not see this as a solution to an existing problem or something vastly different from what is available. A Muhle TTO in the R41 configuration (or somewhere between R41 and R89 in aggressiveness) might go further to interest the serious shaver, but that seems to be nowhere in sight at the present time. A TTO in a sweet spot of aggressiveness between the R89 and R41 would have been a hit with serious shavers, and the "I want one razor only" user, as well. Opportunity missed for now.

Mühle will not have a hit every time, but sometimes feedback like this might lead them back to the drawing board, or the 3D CAD modeling device.
    [​IMG]

Slow Joe likes this.
  13. Codfish

Codfish Member

I have to wonder if a supposed price by an unnamed vendor is a valid reason for any upset. Unless U.S. vendors have resolved the issues with their overpriced distributor, the price will likely continue to be higher than from European sources.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Chuck F

A valid point, but I can name the vendor: it was Casie from Maggard Razors. I felt it might be a breach of etiquette to link to the thread where she said so on another forum. If not, I can certainly do so.

15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

There was an interview published in BB a while back with one of the big mucky mucks at Muhle and one of the questions he was asked was whether the company was finally going to produce a TTO. The man said there would be one coming along with some other new products. Maybe the two piece is the start of some new releases...

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, this may be a delaying step because Mühle is very methodical, almost glacial, in their development and release of products. Time will tell.

17. Codfish

Codfish Member

You may be referring to my interview with Andreas Muller. Here is a direst quote:

Q:
    Finally, members I’ve talked to would like to know if there are plans to introduce a Mühle TTO razor?

A: “I believe pretty much all competitors are keen to offer a TTO, so are we....”

BigMark, GDCarrington and Slipperyjoe like this.
  18. Slipperyjoe

Ya that's it...

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. Codfish

Codfish Member

Impressive memory! :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. Slipperyjoe

Thanks..it also helps out with lyrics..:git:

GDCarrington likes this.