Curved Cover Plate Damaskeene

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by castrobabble, Apr 9, 2014.

1. castrobabble

castrobabble Member

I just got this little guy in the mail today,

image.jpg image.jpg

It has a slightly loose cover plate. Can it be tightened?

2. sffone

sffone Member

You can carefully remove the cover plate and try bending upward the spring-steel tabs that are used to exert pressure on the cover plate. It is these tabs that push against the cover plate and hold it securely in place. And judging from the photo, they're not even touching the ears of the cover plate, when they should be firmly pushing up against it. Beautiful razor, by the way. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

3. castrobabble

castrobabble Member

The razor is definitely the nicest D that i've acquire, which is why I want to try to tighten. I shaved with it last night and it gave me a pretty good shave. Could you draw arrows on the picture for reference? I'm having trouble understanding what the tabs are you are refering to. Thanks!

4. sffone

sffone Member

Sorry, but I don't know how to draw the arrows, but there is tab on each side of the razor, directly below the pivot pin and the ear of the cover plate. Actually, the tabs are both part of the same piece of spring steel that is attached to the underside of the razor that is held in place by two tiny brads/rivets (the heads are visible on the backside of your razor and appear as two tiny bumps). I'll send you my phone number so you can call me if you still aren't clear about the spring.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Next to the G-Bar, that Damaskene (and it's Ever-Ready "Lift Here" twin) is my all-time fav SE shaver. Gorgeous example you have there.