AoS Store…Revisited

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by HolyRollah, Apr 8, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I was at the mall yesterday (a rare occasion) and with plenty of time to kill, I popped back into the Art of Shaving store I had originally ventured into last September. My First Visit

Monday mid-morning, the mall was pretty desolate, and the A0S had only a single customer. The AoS clerk was in the process of checking out the solo customer, and while I perused the displays, I overheard them engaged in conversation regarding the change in AoS's software (i.e. soaps, creams & the like). Apparently the customer was a fan of the previous formulation (tallow-based?) of the soaps, and not as keen on the current offerings. The AoS man was in agreement with the customer's observations.

Once the customer left, the AoS man focused on me, and the following discussion ensued:
    "Sir, can I interest you in a fine shave and haircut?"
    "Ah, no thanks,"
    I replied, secretly wishing to point out to the unobservant man that how could he NOT marvel at the beautifully clean shaven mug I was sporting. :p
    "Do YOU do the shaving?" I asked.
    "Yessir, I've been trained and have shaved many customers."
    "I take it you use a shavette?"
    "We use disposable blades, yes."
    "Do you get many customers?"
    "We get a lot of guys who were given it as a gift from their wives. Some of them would not want to be shaved with a straight razor if they had to choose. But since it was paid for, they do it. You wouldn't believe how many of them really enjoy the shave."
    "I'm sure they do."

We then talked briefly about the AoS soaps and why return customers seemed to prefer the 'old' formulation.
    "Better lubrication, slicker lather, I presume with the tallow."
    "Lubrication doesn't really come from the lather. To get really good lubrication, you need to use a good pre shave oil. Only with a good pre shave oil can you get that slickness. Especially with a straight razor."

Rather than argue the merits of using their over-priced pre shave oil, I asked him about the inventory on display. The overwhelming majority of razors on display still appears to be cartridge razors with fancy ($$) handles and stands. Only a few DE razors (some beautiful rose-gold Muhle R89s on display, plus a Merkur Progress and 34), and several straights (3 AoS-brand straights, one shavette).

"Plenty of cartridge razors. Have you seen any shift in interest towards the double-edge or straights?"
    "Most guys are interested in the double-edge razors, like their dads or grandfathers used. Many have never used anything but the cartridge razors."
    "Straights?"
    "We still get questions about them. Mostly they're curious. Customers just need some education on them to find out they're not as deadly as they look."

Another gentleman had entered the store while we were chatting. He was gazing at the displays when the AoS man made the same haircut/shave pitch at him.
    "No thanks, I'm good. I like this store. It's a guy's hangout at the mall."
    "Have you ever used a double-edged razor?,"asked the AoS man.
    "No…but I think they're cool."
    I chimed in with,"How about a straight razor?"
    The customer smiled a big grin at us, and dragged a finger across his throat, chuckling.
    "No way…..I wanna live! " he said, laughing.:happy097:

Obviously, some more shaving education is in order. ;)

KLF, Shaver X and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

You coulda ran that place with your eyes closed. Meh the way AoS comes across comes off as ripping you off :confused:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It is definitely a change from when they had the safety and straight razors featured front and center. That changed after Gillette bought them, but no surprise there. Some of the stores have Merkur Vision razors, and it seems nearly all have the Muhle R89s and some straights.

Re the pre shave oil, it is all part of their formulaic Prepare-Lather Up-Shave-Moisturize sales strategy. To be fair, someone using their system will usually get much better shaves than with canned foam. It is the razor-and-blades sales model, only in this case the "blades" are the soaps, aftershave balms, creams and pre shave oils.

If you look at the archived AoS website from 2001, their product lineup and sales strategy have not changed much in then ensuing years. Overpriced though they might be, they were pioneers in the market long before the current wetshaving renaissance began. Many people discovered a whole new world by stepping into one of their stores at the mall. Each one of those individuals is then only one Google search away from The Shave Den and the online stores.

Hanzo and PanChango like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You're spot on with your observations concerning the floor & shelf space takeover with gillette razors.

I don't knock AoS for their prices—although plenty folks get all hot & bothered by the steep retail mark-up—but considering the cost of retail overhead in these malls, you won't find real deals in most of the stores in these exclusive (mall) settings.

5. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

The cartridge razors are prominently displayed not just because of AoS' current parent company, but because that is what sells. Most folks really only know cartridge razors, the DE and straight razor users are a small minority. You really can't fault a company for giving their customers what they want. I'm not a huge fan of AoS, but until our little corner of the shaving world becomes more prominent it is nice to know that there is at least one place out there that sells decent quality (albeit over priced) shaving gear locally.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I submitted an application and resume to AoS a couple months ago. Never heard back.
    Maybe mentioning I was a mod on a shaving forum wasn't such a good thing?

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. 59Bassman

59Bassman Member

For what it's worth, had I not stumbled into an AOS on a business trip, I never would have considered switching from my Edge gel and Gillette Sensor razor. That first visit got me to try pre-shave oil and a brush with cream (I do use AOS for both of those), plus change my razor to a newer cartridge. Another visit this past weekend got me to swap the razor for a Merkur HD and really get into the wet shaving experience. So while you may get folks who's last job was Best Buy or Target, at least it's got traditional shaving products more in the public eye than the dusty stuff sitting in the back corner of the shaving section at the local Walgreens.

8. azsteelman

azsteelman Member

I can't knock them, like 59Bassman, if I hadn't accidentally walked in there I'd still be using the electric or can gel w Mac 3. Overpriced, yep. Good place for an awakening, yep again. I still like their pre shave oil although I'm branching out lately!

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Steve, perhaps they didn't like your answer to the application question, "What is your favorite razor and brush?" :D:happy102:

swarden43 likes this.
  10. swarden43

So the adage, "Silence is golden" wasn't such a good thing, either.

11. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I guess Williams wasn't the right answer? :rolleyes::p

12. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I had been useing a DE for about 4 years before i had even heard of AOS. I never knew such a place exisited. After visiting there and nearly having a heart attack at thier prices i still walked out with there product. Does it work? Yes, but so did the canned stuff. After leaving the store I started my own search and found TSD. Now i see there are other places selling nearly the same thing, some at around the same cost, others a little less. IMO it comes down to you get what you pay for. Does the pre-shave oil really make a differance? Guess i need to try it one day with out it and see. I have found that i enjoy shaving much more now than i did before.

13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I signed up for their mailing list of the specials they have. I am not impressed. A couple of weeks ago, I called them on the telephone, I wanted to buy a DE Razor, and asked a couple of questions about what they sold. The store I called is about 12 miles north of where I live. Then there is another store about 20 miles and then another in north county. Anyway, the clown I talked to on the phone acted like he was doing me a favor just to answer the phone. Any way, I do not believe that I will spend any money in their stores. I was talking to a lady that my wife knows and we were talking about Wet Shaving, (she saw my mug and brush and razor sitting on the sink in my RV) She said that her husband was getting into Wet Shaving and went to an AOS close to their home in Corona, Ca. and she said it was like they needed to take a second mortgage out on their home. :eek::shocked003::shocked029:
    I never did find out if he bought anything.

14. swarden43

As for "you get what you pay for", I've found that does not hold in the wet shaving world.
    For example, Arko and VDH soaps are dirt cheap but are really great products.
    My $2 Fatboy gives me outstanding shaves. The Lord L6 is on the low end of the price scale, yet is a super razor.
    Blades at 12 - 15 cents each are certainly better than $3 carts.
    Omega brushes can be had for less than 12 bucks and are some of the best brushes going.

All that said, yes, AoS products are on the expensive side, but they certainly measure up to what you're paying for 'em. It's not like they are a lousy product.

PatrickA51 and HolyRollah like this.
  15. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

oh i agree i havn't paid over $30 bucks for any razor i have. And AOS does offer a good product. I just wish i had found TSD before hand. i see on here all the time where you can the same type of product for way less the cost that does the same thing. I am still learning myself of what all is out there. everyday i seem to find something new.

azsteelman likes this.