Tabac shaving soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Darkbulb, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Wawmd

Wawmd Member

That is a possibility. Either way, the scent ruins any possibility of enjoying the soap. I loved my grandmother, but I don't want to smell like her.

Omelmad likes this.
  2. Wawmd

Wawmd Member

Ha. Yup.

3. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

It's hands down my #1 hard soap, and the only hard soap I'll recommend to someone who is just starting to DE shave.
    It's easy to lather with soft or hard water, and isn't particular about boar brush or badger.
    The lather is thick, smooth, and very slick. If you think you may someday progress to straight razor shaving,
    you'll not find too many other soaps that will help that blade glide easier than with Tabac.
    As far as the smell goes, I like it. I can't speak to the aftershave, as I don't use any of them.
    But if were to try an aftershave, I'd like to try the Tabac.

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I love Tabac! The performance is near optimal, and my wife and I enjoy the scent. She actually helped me choose it at Pasteur's. It's never let me down.

Bristle Me likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Darn.....this means I may just have to try it out... :)

Omelmad and Tdmsu like this.
  6. angrygio698

angrygio698 Member

I'm definitely going to try it

Tdmsu likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Are they still sold in the porcelain tubs or are they plastic now?

Tdmsu likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

There's a reason Tabac is so popular…reasonably priced, top lather performance, user-friendly. The scent may not be to everyone's tastes, but the same could be said for a number of very popular shaving items (Pinuad Clubman, Floid Blue, MdC soap, Proraso) which is no reflection on the quality of the product, but more revealing of the varying preferences in fragrance.

Slow Joe, tuxxdk and Bristle Me like this.
  9. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Who hates Floid Blue? :confused:I have honestly never seen a Floid Blue haters thread anywhere ever.:smiley respect: The Stuff IS AWESOME! :smiley respect:

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    tabac3.jpg
    And now I have it. Thanks for the pif. It is working well for me. Thanks again.

Wawmd and Tdmsu like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've never smelled it myself so I've no opinion on it, but I often see it for sale on a variety of forums with the comments along the lines of, "Fragrance isn't for me…" "My wife hates the smell…" "Scent doesn't do it for me,""My pain, your gain…," etc., etc.—usually a BIG bottle ($$) too.

12. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Tabac remains available in the milk glass (porcelain??) jar as far a I know, and I hope it always will be. I really wanted the bowl and I got it with my first purchase.
    I think that bowl speaks to how much they care about the quality of their soap. If you make a high quality product and have done so for decades, it should be packaged in a high quality way.

http://www.italianbarber.com/tabac-shaving-soap-in-bowl-125g

http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Tabac-Shaving-Soap-Bowl.html

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Tabac-Original-Shaving-Soap-with-Bowl_p_184.html

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    RaZorBurn123 and Tdmsu like this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I wonder if the ones that Amazon sell are the milk glass ones. Hm, hm, hm.....do I reaaalllyy need any more soap?

Spoiler: The answer is most likely no.

"Want" is way different than Need though....

14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Haven't seen it in anything less than milk glass bowl

15. snowbeast

snowbeast New Member

Just found mine in south Africa. Looking forward to trying it.

Tdmsu likes this.
  16. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

My wife and daughter after smelling the Tabac said its a great scent for the guy who wants to stay single:eek:

17. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Tabac is in my top 5 and it has never let me down. My wife likes the scent too. Bonus ;)

Tdmsu and Omelmad like this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm still trying to justify spending 25 dollars on a soap... I love the tabac scent but it's 10 bucks more than I want to spend :)

Omelmad likes this.
  19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Scent-wise I don't give a rats about other people opinions. If they don't like it, shut the nostrils :D

20. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member