can i ask for your wisdom?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by david of central florida, Apr 27, 2014.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

i would like to ask two related shave questions.

1) do you shave diffently, while your slightly sunburnt?

2) do you change your shaving habits when you plan to be in the sun?

i apologize in advance, because as my name implies, i should be answering these questions instead of asking them. i know what i have done in the past, but not in reference to de shaving.
    sometimes you wont know if you dont ask. so please share your wisdom. thank you, david

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

With a slight sunburn I will still shave like normal. I'm just careful not to add razor burn on top of it. If I go to the beach or I'm on vacation, I might skip shaving depending on whether I've got time or not.

3. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I use l'oreal men expert facial moisturizer with SPF15 if I am going to be outside at all and sunscreen if I know I will be outside for a long period. If I get sunburn I try not to shave. Unfortunately for work I have to shave daily so I just push through the pain with a one pass WTG shave if I have to.

Omelmad likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

David

Here a a couple of thoughts on your questions:
    1. Yes, depending on the severity of the burn, I would certainly take a few extra steps to protect my tender skin. If the burn was very tender, I would consider skipping a shave altogether. If I was required to shave, I would first apply a protective barrier before applying any shave cream. A good pre-shave oil or cream (balm) would top my list. Since shaving can further aggravate the skin, I would minimize the number of passes to two (WTG and XTG). Post shave, a soothing balm and a good dose of aloe vera gel would be a good idea.
    2. No. No real impact on my shaving habits, with the possible exception of using a shea-butter or aloe-based balm instead of an alcohol-based aftershave. I would, of course, wear sun protection lotion or cream with adequate SPF.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

On question 1: I totally agree with Kevin.

On question 2: No impact at all. I shave as always. No special precautions or anything.

Omelmad likes this.
  6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Noxema cleansing cream was initially marketed for reducing the effects of sunburn. Use it as a pre shave and it will help a great deal. This knowledge is second hand as I am far too swarthy to suffer from such afflictions.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Definition of swarthy (adj)
    swarth·y
    • [ swáwrt͟hee ]
    1. with dark complexion: having a dark and often weather-beaten complexion

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

At night you might want wash your face with enough time to let water sink into the skin (1 to 2 minutes) then apply a good shaving balm to allow moisture to be retained in the skin to help prepare for the next days shave. Then when shaving do this again before lathering up to provide extra protection.