My Blade Safari

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jpb437, Jan 29, 2014.

1. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Shave 6 with the Rapira was better than the last 5. Full 3 pass shave with fantastic results.

Sharpness 4 Still only a tiny bit of tugging
    Smoothness 5 Super smooth again and a BBS
    Closeness 5 this is a fantastic blade and only $15 for 100 blades on Italian barber. This is top of my list right now... but I still have 26 blades to go.

Bobcat likes this.
  2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

You have a lot of very good blades. It will be interesting to see how they all sort out for you personally.

3. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

They certainly are very good. I can't thank you enough for the great blades Bob. I have tried 2 of the blades you gave me both of which were the best I had ever used (when I tried them.) Gillette Silver Blue is on deck for Monday's shave. I hope it will be the best blade I have ever used yet again and move the others down on my list one more time.

Bobcat likes this.
  4. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I have 14 blades in stock right now. After my next blade purchase I will be Starting a Blade Safari PIF.

Bobcat likes this.
  5. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Rapira.jpg
    Today I retired the Rapira not because it could no longer give a close comfortable shave but because I want to finish this blade safari before next Christmas. I liked it so much I almost wrapped it back up and saved it for later. Then I decided I could just buy more instead.

6. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Shave one with the Gillette Silver Blue was amazing. I only did a 2 pass and it was almost BBS so I called it good.

Sharpness 5
    Smoothness 5 Super smooth and near BBS in 2 passes no ATG
    Closeness 5 this is a fantastic blade possibly the best yet... time will tell

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Bobcat likes this.
  7. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Shave two and three were just as good as the first with the GSB. I think I may have found a winner, but there are a lot more to try. Due to a time crunch today I decided to skip my shave to make more time to prep for a valentines day surprise.

Shave 2
    Sharpness 5 still perfect
    Smoothness 5 Super smooth BBS in 2 passes with touch up
    Closeness 5
    Feeling at 9:00 4

Shave 3
    Sharpness 4
    Smoothness 5 BBS 3 in three passes smooth as butter
    Closeness 5
    Feeling at 9:00 4 This is my favorite blade so far. Looks like I am going to order my fist 100 blade purchase this weekend.

Bobcat likes this.
  8. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Shave 4 was another great shave from the GSB. I just ordered a 100 pack of these so that I could get enough blades to start my PIF.

Sharpness 4
    Smoothness 4 DFS in 3 comfortable passes
    Closeness 4 Not quite as close as I thought it would be but still great
    Feeling at 9:00 3 I think this blade has more shaves in it but I will be tossing it after shave 5.

Bobcat likes this.
  9. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Shave 5 with GSB is it's last. I don't know If it was wet when I put it away or what but the quality vastly dropped between my last shave and this morning.

Sharpness 4
    Smoothness 2 it was not a comfortable shave but it was super close
    Closeness 4 I only did 2 passes because of how rough the blade felt but it gave me a super close shave with some irritation
    I think I may have not dried it yesterday because it was great yesterday and I noticed right away today something wasn't right. Either way I got 4 great shaves out of it. That makes it under $0.06 a shave. To get that return on investment out of my old mach3 blades I would have to get 38 shaves per cartridge.

Bobcat likes this.
  10. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

GSB.jpg GSB is a great quality blade. I am done with this one but I am waiting on 100 more to ship.

Bobcat likes this.
  11. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I took a week off to use the Stirling Ozark Mountain and MWF. This week it was back to the routine. I have been using the Perma Sharp Super stainless. The first shave was not as good as I was hoping for. It was a little rough but the blade was plenty sharp. I almost threw it out thinking it was a dud. Day two the blade was much smoother and by the third shave this blade was smooth as butter. I haven't had this happen with a blade before but I'm glad I kept with this blade. I am quite impressed with the longevity of this blade I just did my sixth shave with this blade and I think I could get a few more. I have not noticed any decrease in quality yet. But tomorrow is no shave day and Monday will be a new blade.
    Perma Sharp.jpg

Bobcat likes this.
  12. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Super Max TI.jpg
    Super Max Titanium From India is loaded up for Mondays shave.

13. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

So the Super-Max Titanium was not for me. I feel I gave it a fair try but it just wasn't on the same level as the other blades I have used recently. First shave was an uncomfortable 2 pass with a few little nicks. Shave 2 was worse I felt like it was pulling and tugging. I did try one more time and after day three I tossed it and loaded a drug store blade to finish out the week. I don't know if it was a dud blade or if this blade just doesn't like my face, but this is the first time a blade has given me a handful of nicks every shave.

This week went with the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green) and it is one of the best blades I have ever used. First 2 days I went with a quick 2 pass and I got a DFS shave. Both shaves were perfect other than my jawline which always needs extra attention. Day 3 I went for BBS I did 2 full passes with a tiny bit of touch up and got a perfect BBS. Today was my sixth shave with this blade and though I can tell it is near the end of it's life it still produced a DFS in 2 passes. Looks like I have another favorite. I will be trying another Gillette tomorrow morning.

Bobcat and Tdmsu like this.
  14. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Gillette Green.JPG

Bobcat and Tdmsu like this.
  15. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

The Gillette 7'O Clock black was not quite as good as the Green IMO. It is certainly a great blade but it seemed to dull and start to pull on my third shave. I got no nicks all week but some minor irritation buy shave 4 and 5. I didn't think it was up to par by the end of the week so I didn't even use it on Saturday.
    Gillette 7 OClock Super Plat Black.JPG

Bobcat likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Love reading these threads. Watching with great interest.

17. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I'll be watching when you test those Polsilver Super Iridiums. I too tested many blades and The Gillette Silver Blues were my clear number one for weeks.

Then I tried the Polsilvers......:happy036:

18. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Sorry I have been seriously slacking on this thread. I have another three or four blades to update more to come later today.

19. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

The Gillette sharp edge Yellow is an impressive blade. I got great shaves for 6 days before I decided it was time to bin it. I found it to be smooth yet quite sharp. Certainly worth another shot when I get my top contenders narrowed down. Gillette Sharp Edge.JPG

20. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Personna super blue was a bit of a disappointment. I felt like I had to concentrate on going over the top with my prep time to get a shave like I got with the gillette blades. It did a fine job but it didn't feel nearly as smooth and I noticed it tugged even on the first shave. Not one of my favorites but I managed to get great shaves with it just not as enjoyable Personna Super Blue.JPG .