Homemade Bay Rum by Dr. Tim

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Troy M, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Dr. Tim sent me a sample of his homemade soap and I decided to give it a good test run this morning.
    [​IMG]
    The small puck smelled awesome. The off white color is nice and the texture appears to be good. The scent is an amazing bay rum.
    I pondered how to deal with this small relatively hard puck.
    [​IMG]
    I thought about how I might chase it around the bottom of the bowl or the mug and pictured myself futilely trying to load a brush. Then my pea-brain kicked in and I decided to just rub the puck right on the stubble on my scalp and then scalp lather. So I did.

I chose to use a Stirling best badger brush. In a short amount of time, I had quite a bit of sticky lather all over my head. I dipped the tips in the water several times and ended up with a shiny and slick helmet of lather. It seemed dense and yogurty.

The big test came with the shave. I used my tried and true Gillette Ball End Tech with a fresh Super-Max Super Platinum blade. The stubble came off very easily. The lather seemed just as good as any I have made with factory or artisan made soaps. It stayed wet for the entire head shave. I tried to lather up for a second pass and simply did not have any lather in the brush. So I grabbed the puck and rubbed it around for just a few moments on my wet scalp. The brush then just exploded with lather. The second pass was just as easy and felt even slicker. Its almost like I woke up the soap.

This photo was taken after I finished the second pass and the brush had been sitting for 4 or 5 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    No doubt I could have lathered for a 3rd pass with no problems.

Clean up was easy. I did not see any sort of soap film left on the razor, so a quick wipe down left the cap shiny and clean.

I think Dr. Tim has a winner here. If I had the interest in making my own soap, like he does, then the rest of the shaving world would not get my money. But, if Tim decides to sell a bit of this soap in the future, I'll bet HE gets some of my money!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Excellent review! Tim also gave me a sample. I echo your observation.

3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Tim sent me a Sample to try. I am going to try it tomorrow. Today has been a kick back day. So I didn't even get close to my razors. Except to rearrange the Save Den aka downstairs 1/2 Bath.

RaZorBurn123, Troy M and GDCarrington like this.
  4. PatrickA51

From the pictures that you posted it looks like I will a great shave tomorrow. I guess I will use my WD30/65 Silver Tips Shaving brush and use my Weber 3pc. 85mm W/Classic Handle. Almost want to shave right now.

Dr. Tim Wilkins and Troy M like this.
  5. PatrickA51

Dr. Tim sent me a sample of his homemade soap and I decided to give it a good test today.
    I really can not describe the scent only to say it has a "Very Clean" Aroma. The soap smells so good that to quote "She Who Must be Obeyed" it makes you want to inhale very deeply, "like inhaling Fresh Spring Air" at the early dawn.

Then as I shaved it was like my Gillette Knack TTO/DE was gliding on my face. I re-lathered my face and for a second time it was like I was my face was oiled and the razor just followed ever move of my hand. I used a CVS Drug Store Generic DE Razor. I was going to use
    I only ran the razor over my face twice today. I had said yesterday I was going to use my Weber to shave with today. I decided to use my Gillette Knack. I was going to also use
    a Schick Xtereme 3 Disposable razor for a third pass manly on my lower neck and between my chin and mouth I did not need to use that razor.

I got an excellent lather. After I lathered my brush I put some of the lather in my hand and rubbed it around in my hands, it had a very slick feel to it. It made me feel I had put a Pre-Shave Oil on my face.
    I would venture to say that if you started using this soap you really would not need to use a Shaving Oil.

Also I had No Nick's or Weeper's today.

After my Shave I used some Captain's Choice North A/S.

I would say that Dr. Tim has a winner on this one. It's just as good if not better than VDH soaps.
    Also it holds a torch and surpasses a lot of these name brand over priced soaps on the market today.

a

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    Ryan B, Wawmd, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

So now the big question.. Dr. Tim will you start producing enough to sell?

7. Dr. Tim Wilkins

Dr. Tim Wilkins Active Member

8. Wawmd

Wawmd Member

My sample arrived yesterday. I have no prior "bay rum" experience but the scent was pleasant. And clean. It lathers easily with good lubrication and longevity. Nicely done.

RaZorBurn123 and Dr. Tim Wilkins like this.
  9. Dr. Tim Wilkins

Thanks

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

My mother would say that whenever she really meant "no." ;)

GDCarrington, Ryan B and Troy M like this.
  11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

My sample must have gotten lost in the mail =)

RaZorBurn123 and Dr. Tim Wilkins like this.
  12. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have a question for you.

Why do many more people make soap than cream or croap? Is it harder to make them?

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yes. Despite what many folks would have you believe, cream is not just soap with added water.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  14. lobomalo72

lobomalo72 Member

Could I try a peace??? I want to feel that awesome slick oily feeling.. Bay Rum is my favorit scent..

15. Dr. Tim Wilkins

Yes, cream is a completely different process

We are still trying to figure out how to make an actual cream. The soap is crazy and great lather. I hope that our mad scientist experiments with the cream turn out as well

markjnewcomb and Omelmad like this.
  16. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I thought it had to be a different and more difficult process or else everyone would make creams as well as soap. Thanks.

Dr. Tim Wilkins likes this.