What are the benefits of Aluminum ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, Apr 23, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

The reason I ask is because of the use of aluminum in razors such as The Techs starting in the 50s. I understand it is lightweight compared to brass and it does not rust but what other benefits are there. Am I safe to assume it is a cheaper material, which I assume it is.

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

BigMark likes this.
  3. KeenEdger

KeenEdger New Member

From what I read about vintage Gillette's with the aluminum handles, it was because the brass was being used for bullet and shell cases during the war.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. lancelot

lancelot New Member

I used a Merkur, Bakelite, razor over the weekend. I would think it would resemble an all aluminum razor in weight. It shaved well, and make me think there might be a market for an all aluminum razor. I think I would buy one, but I'm razor-crazy.

Ron

5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I wouldn't go for aluminium myself. It's too light for my personal tastes.

6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The first DE I ever bought was British made Aluminum Tech. It shaves really well too.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Brass was being used in the War. It was either Aluminum or twigs..

8. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

My tech is a 65 so it makes sense since that is when The Vietnam War was going on. The weight is not an issue since it was a travel tech and I paired it with a Tradere Handle.

9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

My belief is only slightly different.

The war ended in the late summer of 1945. During the war, brass was in very high demand, but, so was aluminum (aluminium to our friends across the pond). Because aluminum was so highly demanded, they were forced to develop more cost effective ways of refining. The aluminum industry came out the winner. Between 1939 and 1950 the price of aluminum dropped by almost 75%. By the 1950's aluminum was much cheaper than almost all forms of steel. Combined with the ease of machining aluminum vs steel, aluminum became a huge cost savings in manufacturing. This leads me to believe that Gillette, like a lot of manufacturers, choose aluminum because of the cost.

RaZorBurn123 and GDCarrington like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I view this the same way. Cost is the primary push with weight is a secondary issue. The feeling back in that time was the lighter the better. We have different views today with heavy weight handles and razors.

11. Daiku

Daiku New Member

My daily driver is a blue tip Superspeed, which has an aluminum handle. In the case of the blue tip, aluminum was used to make the razor lighter and milder. In my opinion, the idea as a great success.

12. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I have use aluminium and brass in my handles of brushes and DE razors
    The brass may looking betters as "gold" but needs some work for shinning.
    Aluminium is much preferable,you can shine it much easier
    I use it in my handles knobs and inside a rod of metal to compensate the loss of weight
    Thus the handle is heavy enough to do the work and looks better.