Recommendations for a synthetic brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rmcintyre84, Apr 29, 2014.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I'm looking for recommendations for a synthetic brush. I currently have only one brush - a Simply Beautiful Badger Brush with a chrome handle. I'm not sure of the knot size or loft. (I know - heresy.) I bowl lather, and I prefer creams to soaps; I usually use soap only once every 2 weeks. I want to spend $25 or less. Thanks for your input.

2. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Whipped Dog synthetic. http://whippeddog.com/products/view/synthetic-knot /

It's within your budget, and if you don't like it Larry will refund your money. The website shows that the 24mm knots are out of stock, but Larry just received new inventory. Email him to confirm availability.

I received mine just yesterday and have only shaved once with it. I bowl lathered Stirling soap and was VERY impressed by the performance of this brush.

Edit: corrected hyperlink format

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, you gotta read what @GDCarrington has to say about synthetics ---> *click*
    An extremely comprehensive article.

fram773 likes this.
  4. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Thanks. You wouldn't think something as simple as lather could get so complicated.

Dridecker likes this.
  5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Whatever you do don't get a Parker synthetic. I'm going to go further- don't go with anything less than gen 4. Or if you do- don't badmouth synths as inferior to natural afterwards. I had a HIS that was supremely soft. A lot better than the Tweezerman pure badger I started wet shaving with but I just didn't like its size. The knot was too big and wasteful and the handle was way too big too and felt uncomfortable mixing up lather. Should have been for Andre the Giant.

6. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

FYI-I really like my WD Synthetic...........

7. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Larry's Synthetic 24mm today is IN stock
    I am on my way soon for a knot from him.

8. Daiku

Daiku New Member

I really like my Whipped Dog too. For me, in that price range, it's a toss-up between the WD synth and the Kent Infinity, which is an incredible deal for $20 if you like smaller brushes with plenty of backbone.