SoS: April 28, 2014 - May 4, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Apr 27, 2014.

1. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

Beautiful razor. I have seen you post it before and meant to comment. Love the scales, they are absolutely gorgeous & the blade etching is very cool.

crackstar and GDCarrington like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sunday PM shave

Gillette late '40s S.S.
    Personna med prep blade (I think)
    VDH soap

This shave was rougher than it should have been. Either this particular blade is not a good match for the S.S. or I've spoiled myself by using that axle grease-thick shave butter the last few shaves. Irritation began before the 2nd pass was done so I quit at DFS. Will try this blade in the Slim in a few days to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, I'll know I need to get more of that shave grease.

No a/s, going to bed. Have a good week.

figment714, Troy M, TSimons and 7 others like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

May I ask where you found Big Bens in a marked dispenser like that? Very cool!

crackstar, GDCarrington and PanChango like this.
  4. Nathan1611

Nathan1611 Well-Known Member

Just home from a stressful shift! Thought I'd have a shower /shave before bed. Had a great shave, really enjoy pairing a mild razor with a more aggressive blade.
    Pre-shave: hot shower/proraso pre shave.
    Cream: TOBS Rose
    Brush: Proraso bore brush
    Razor: Gillette Tech
    Blade: Feather
    Post shave: cold water/Razorock alum
    [​IMG]

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Planned Shave for 5 May 2014

[​IMG]

figment714, Troy M, TSimons and 7 others like this.
  6. WetShaveObsession

I too love a Tech/Feather combo! Makes for a beautiful shave IMO.

7. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I was pleasantly surprised with the Ladas. Kind of ordered them by "default". I was looking for some Voskhod blades and found them at shaveabuck.com. To fill the order, since I was paying shipping, I added the Ladas, Rapira Swedes, and Baili blades. The Voskhods, Ladas, Swedes, and Baili blades have been a pleasant surprise. I have used all with very nice results...good close, comfortable shaves. Decent price. When I look at the price of say Feathers, these guys are a good return on investment. I plan to keep the Voskhod, Baili, Swedes, and Ladas close at hand and use frequently.

8. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Well....I didn't. My main blades are Big Ben. I like using dispensers as I mostly use TTOs and wanted one for the Big Bens. I had a dispenser from Fred's decided to make it for them. I scanned the metal top part of the dispenser for a reference and photo shopped the file with Big Ben logos. Used clear packing tape as laminate. Took an exacto knife and cut out the openings. It has worked quite well. I keep saying I'm going to do this with my other blades but haven't gotten around.

Thanks!

gorgo2, crackstar and GDCarrington like this.
  9. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bud! Hopefully it will be lathering WSO Coconut Lime very soon. ;)

WetShaveObsession likes this.
  10. WetShaveObsession

I think we can make that happen very soon my friend! I will keep you posted!

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks! Yes, it was a 'minor' restore—which means, for me, mostly elbow grease for sanding & polishing a blade that suffered some neglect, & then putting a decent shaving edge. The scales, bolsters & pins were in pretty good shape.
    [​IMG]

12. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

DTOM.....Amen.

13. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Thanks Ed. I'm not sure who the potter is. It is a Lord Nelson; an English Soap Scuttle (At least that is where I got it from) I have seen the same shape Scuttle painted differently sold by Muhle and some other shaving product manufacturers (I'm sure they get them from the same place, paint them to their colors and re-brand them. ) I guess that wasn't too helpful but that about all the provenance I have on it. Take a look on e-bay and they pop up every now and then. ;)
    Try this link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...ord+Nelson+Shaving+Scuttle&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  14. Adriano Arrigo

Adriano Arrigo Well-Known Member

May 04, 2104. Shave of the day
    Razor : Gillette Milord 1940
    Soap : Tabac stick
    Blade : Perma Sharp
    Aftershave : Floid
    Shaving brush: handmade silvertip
    [​IMG]

15. LookingGlass