LF recommendations for an inexpensive bourbon

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've been drinking Jim Beam (white) and Evan Willams for some time now but would like to venture out and try something else.

I normally take it neat and not into mixed drinks.

I've heard a lot of good things about JB (Black) (even heard that the black is so much better than the White it's almost like a completely different bourbon) - and Weller's (but Weller's seems to be hard to find) - any thoughts on those or some others for say....less than $25 for a 750ml bottle.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

When you say cheap, I was thinking about $12 or less. In that range I would look at Rebel Yell, Ezra Brooks, or Evan Williams. Out of these, I like Rebel Yell the best.

In the $25 - $30 range, I would suggest Wild Turkey, Bulleit, Elijah Craig 12 yr, or Old Grand Dad 114,

I've come to prefer Rye as it is less sweet than Bourbon. If you want to branch out and try a very nice drink Wild Turkey Rye and Bulleit are my favorites in the $20-25 range. Old Overholt is fine economy rye, but lends itself more to mixing. If you want a fantastic bottle for under $40, Templetons or Michter's Ryes are both absolutely delicious.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I like Early Times Kentucky Whisky it's sells for around $20 for a 1.75 liter bottle...Whenever it goes on sale for under $18 I try and stock up...I have 4 1.75 liter bottles as of today..I find it not only cheaper than Jack Daniels but smoother also.....:)

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I ended up getting a bottle of Evan Williams (black, 86 proof) as it was on sale for $9.90 and well...that sounded like a fair price :)

5. dscl

dscl Member

IMO, the best bang for the buck is hands-down Buffalo Trace.

6. dscl

dscl Member

The biggest exception to this being the Angel's Envy Rye Whiskey. It's aged in Caribbean rum barrels. Tasty as hell, but SUPER sweet.

7. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Buffalo trace, Beam black, eagle rare single barrel, blanton, weller 12 year if you can catch it, knob creek, 4 roses, Elijah Craig, Booker Noe. All of these are top sippin whiskey, trust me I'm from Ky ;-)

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Been trying to find Weller's here in California

9. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I have always been a fan of Old Charter Bonded.

10. TarheelFXR

TarheelFXR Member

That Old Grandaddy is a sleeper I like it better than Wild Turkey--gives me heart burn, well after a while.

T

11. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Bulleit and Breckenridge are two of my favorites but the Elijah Craig 12 yr is pretty solid as well. They are all just under $30 a bottle.

12. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Maker's Mark is maybe a little over $25 but not much and it's one of my favorites.

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

No suggestions to add as I drink scotch, but it's interesting to see all the various prices given. Alcohol prices really do fluctuate state by state.

stingraysrock likes this.