Oc Help please.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, May 11, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Ok so here is the dilemma. I know that you cannot get a BBs without going against the grain. The issue is I get nicked to high heaven when shaving ATG on my neck, not to mention I have curly facial hair so another issue is Razor Bumps. I guess my question is will an Oc help at all just going WTG? Or am I going to have to settle for DFS? I was looking athe The iKon but have no idea what to expect from it or perhaps a Vintage like a NEW. I tried a Fatip but way to aggressive. Any suggestions? Oh yeah even XTG is useless as it makes no difference.

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I don't think an open comb will make a lot of difference. If you're using a shallow blade angle, the comb or safety bar doesn't really touch your skin so the way I see it, there's no big advantage to an open comb unless you're shaving off a beard.

I wouldn't feel too bad about "settling" for a DFS. BBS only lasts a few hours but shaving bumps last much longer. If your skin looks good with no irritation, a tiny bit of stubble is nothing to worry about IMO.

Ryan B, Hthomas, Tdmsu and 5 others like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Mark
    This is just my thought. The iKon is made off shore. (I think in Viet Nam) or so I have been told by a dealer that sells them, other wise I would have bought one that had some kind of blemish when they were on sale for less than $55.00,and for almost half (I believe they are $125.00 plus shipping) the price you can get a DE Razor that is made in the United States of America. The Weber 3pc 85mm is only $70.00 includes shipping. I really enjoy my Weber. It's made in the USA !

Hthomas and ObiDon like this.
  4. BigMark

I have a Weber and a Tech. I find my technique is getting better as I get a very comfortable shave with the Tech but the Weber is even a bit to Agressive for my skin. My issue with the Weber is shoddy QC. Sure it is stainless steel and that is all good and well but I have an issue when iI spend 70 bux on a razor and the blade is wavy. I am such a stickler for QC I am unsure if I would even sell the Weber head. I find I get almost as close of a shave from the Tech but much more comfortable.
    I figured as much. I have read that there are Mild OC and agressive SB razors. I just figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Perhaps trying a few other blades?

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Bristle Me likes this.
  5. BigMark

Patrick I understand the whole USA thing. I however have no issue purchasing a product froma Foregin country if it works for me. I do however wish iKon was made in the USA Since all we have is Weber and Tradere, with Tradere being very exspensive., and none have been crafted for months.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

This ^^^

DFS is highly underrated. Most of my best shaves are DFS. My goal is DFS. If I accidentally end up with a BBS, it's a pleasant surprise.

In my opinion, the aggressiveness of an OC is only going to make it worse on you. However, if you want to try one, Cadet makes a some good inexpensive ones you can experiment with.

7. BigMark

How about an SE? Would that make any difference? I know I will only really know if I try it but any input would greatly be appreciated.

8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I've never personally used a SE razor but I've heard some great things about them. Give one a try.

9. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I would take a step back and look at shave prep first. Good prep makes any razor and any blade better. I get the impression that most people underestimate the value or don't realize all that can be accomplished with prep. A hot or warm towel, massaging lather into your stubble are just a couple of things you can try. Do some googleizing, there are a whole range of possibilities, it's just a matter of finding what works for you.

10. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

OC doesn't necessarily mean aggressive, though. For instance, Merkur 41C is pretty mild, to my sensibilities.

Bristle Me, Tdmsu and GDCarrington like this.
  11. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That is pretty much always my recommendation.

12. BigMark

Face lathering seems to help and I plan on shaving before a shower next with Cold Water. Hopefully that would help. I am definitely getting there just getting frustrated is all.

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Go with the most comfortable shave you can get without irritation. As your technique and skill improves so will the shaves. If I do more than two passes, I get lots of irritation. I do two one N to S and one S to N. With some of my razor / blade combinations, this will give me just about a BBS shave. With others, I get a DFS. Regardless I get a comfortable shave. Try a few different razor and blade combinations and see what works for you.

Don't get caught up in thinking that hardware will make up for technique.

14. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Try an Open Comb Micromatic SE razor and watch Mr. Guy's video. If I'm in a hurry, I can get a good close shave with just a WTG pass with mine. Here's the video:

15. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I agree with HoosierTrooper.

I find SE's, including injectors, give me the smoothest shaves with the least irritation. Because I'm old with a chicken-skin neck, I can't get BBS on my neck anyway. I much prefer a smooth shave without irritation to one that's a bit too aggressive though.

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Coupling the right blade with an OC causes a change in my opinion more than Guard Bar razors.

Big Bens are what I use for testing razors because they are smoother with a lower level of sharpness. I tend to use it in very aggressive razors as well such as the R41 2013, FaTip and Barbasol/PAL more often than any other blade for the same reasoning.

Bristle Me likes this.
  17. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Haven't tried OC or SE, however have you exhausted blade combinations? I found that even with the top rated blades, lots of difference on how each chewed up my face more or less. IE, the Feathers would give me a great shave but their ATG tugged a bunch. Likewise, Personna both Red and Blue give me a DFS, but smooth ATG. Astras seem middle of the road for me - they are BBS/DFS hit or miss and tuggy or smooth varying day to day. Switch to a different razor and everything I just stated is reversed. It's like playing Madonna's "Justify My Love" on vinyl in reverse.

The other thing I found with myself, as I describe it, the middle-eastern/Mediterranean bloodlines in my genes cause my neckline hairs to grow coarse in a chaotic changing pattern - a constant rebellion in extremist facial hair. The best thing I found to fight this battle so far has been:
    1: two XTG passes on my neckline in opposing directions, using a J-Hook technique for each of those passes.
    2: If I feel a tug ATG somewhere, I switch to lightly buff that area XTG, then come back with a little more lather ATG.
    3: let the razor apply the pressure - I treat the handle like a pendulum, and just try to manage the angle at which it falls.
    4: shave daily.

As I'm sure you already know, YMMV...

Tdmsu likes this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have found the road to the best shaves. while I like to try different things, I want to be proficient in what I endeavor to do. the prevailing advice it's to get a razor, blades you like, then stick with it till you get good with it.
    I can only add two things
    take your time, and turn the water off.

Bristle Me and Tdmsu like this.
  19. BigMark

I have some coarse facial hair. I tend to try cold shaving next time, true cold shaving IMO as in way after a shower or first thing in the morning. XTG chews me up. I am stubborn and I know I will get it eventually. I just hate that I cannot go ATG, as I get Razor Bumps.

20. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I like the Astra SP DE Blades. I also like the Wilkerson SS DE Blades. I would really venture to say that the problem is not the Razor that you are using (iKon,Weber, Parker,Merkur,Muehle etc. ) I have found that I get just as good of a shave from a Generic Blade than I do a name brand, if I just take my time. jmo.

Last edited: May 14, 2014