How's Your Day - May 2014

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Dridecker, Apr 30, 2014.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I'm out then.

sol92258 likes this.
  2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

That sounds... dangerous. I'd be the person who gets the busted face.

:D

Attached Files:

3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Interesting bit of happiness from the weekend:

A little over two years ago, right before Christmas, we were walking around KMart, where I happened to find myself perusing the flashlights. One particular model caught my eye, the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 3C LED. About $20, but I really liked the look of it, so I took a picture of it to check it out online later.
    I did, reviews were pretty good, and I decided to buy it. The next week I found myself in KMart once again, made my way to the flashlight section, and, lo and behold, they were suddenly on clearance! So much so, in fact, the buying the last two was only a little more than buying just one previously (see? sometimes it does pay to wait :))
    Well, I bought 'em, go home and opened one, and tried it out. Very nice. Very bright, long throw, very focused, not very floody (unless you remove the lens housing, then it's very floody, as I discovered last night).
    Anyhoo, a few days later I was hanging Christmas lights and putting out lawn decorations (this is how I know when this happened...it was just before I changed back to my current job, around Christmas :D), had my new flashlight with me, was almost done when I noticed some lights that weren't lit. Put the ladder back up, started my way up the ladder, and *THUD*. I just closed my eyes and shook my head. Fixed the lights, got back down, and checked my torch. Everything looks fine, but no illumination.
    :(
    Well, fortunately, I bought two. So, I put that one up, thinking surely I can get replacement parts later, opened my other light, and went on. Attempted to swap parts around to troubleshoot what the problem component was, but didn't feel like doing and soldering/unsoldering on the working unit, and further, never successfully found anywhere to get replacement parts, besides sending the device in for service (I'm sure it'd cost more than the flashlight originally was, so forget it)
    Ended up putting it on a shelf, and haven't touched it in purt' near 2 years now. Found it Saturday evening, and just for the heck of it, clicked the switch...........holy carp, it works! Two year's old batteries (and not a bit of corrosion in there), and the thing blinded me - yes, I was pointing it at my face, I didn't expect it to actually throw any luminescent emissions at me, but alas, it did.
    Yes, I was a happy boy that night :)

It's the little things in life, ya know?

TL;DR version:
    Bought a flashlight, dropped it, it stopped working. Two years later, randomly tried it, and suddenly it works (with the same old batteries from before)

Reminds me of the time at my previous place of employment, the Xerox guy come out to setup the new copiers to copy to home directories. Nearly two hours, calls to his support people, and general head-scratching, he had to leave, was coming back the next day to work on it.
    20 minutes after he left I called him to say he didn't need to come work on it, I had it working. Was my first time to try configging that feature on a Xerox...not sure what was so difficult to him about it (or his "engineers" he kept talking to) :D

4. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

My case is worse... Mine only sort of works... And support is almost useless.

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Oh yeah, wouldn't argue that for a moment, inputting a few FQDNs into a few groups via fairly straight forward and simple web GUI, versus secure uploading via the "worst API" ever...wouldn't even try to compare, except I understand when support is unhelpful (too frequent), incompetent (my xerox story), or non-existent (your case).
    Glad you got it figured out though

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

He got a better shave than you. :p

7. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

The funny thing is, I use "secure" in quotes - as the service is FIPS certified. Now that I'm a bit more familiar with their API I can see it's only as secure as your OAuth token. :(
    And by bad, I should say - poorly documented and inconsistent. Some api's require field params to be b64 encoded, while the same fields for other methods do not.

8. Dapper-in-a-can-man

He uses SR's only too :(

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Rockin' the Veg this morning. I am strutting about like a General in the Hungarian Cavalry.

Dridecker likes this.
  10. Dapper-in-a-can-man

RIP little Cadet. One of my favorite razor's taken to soon by a spiteful Kitty using blunt force trauma. Seriously.... this cat knocked a door down and it slammed straight into my den. It's what I woke up to. I was quite pissed. :mad::mad::mad:
    The vintage razors were fine though. :D

Attached Files:

11. richgem

Sorry for the loss Dapper. Time to get either a new kitteh or to at least stop feeding him steroids. Yeesh.

12. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Rich, I think she's on the Nip man.

richgem likes this.
  13. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

14. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Crappy.

Happy anniversary! Enjoy yourselves.

15. richgem

Sure looks that way. When good kittehs go bad. :(

16. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

right there with ya, brother.

17. Dapper-in-a-can-man

If you help me get the Kitty Mafias Don to let me do a hit I'll switch sides from minions to penguins. Only fair.

18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Bummers on the razor, Dapper!
    You could always send in a doggie to chase the kittehs away...
    thankee.jpg

19. rigato

rigato New Member

Great, man good job!

20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Sorry rich, gotta go with the dog. :p I WAS gonna us my cadet today too :(

macaronus likes this.