Walmart selling the one touch razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Razor Blade 79, Apr 26, 2014.

1. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I have a cheap Nanjie razor. I have looked closely at the One Touch my local Walmart sells. I don't know what you guys are getting, but the ones at my local Walmart look just like my Nanjie. The metal is paper thin, and the razor looks really poor quality. No case, and I would not give a plug nickel, much less $19.99, for that razor and blades. MHO, from what I've seen in my neck of the woods. YMMV.

2. 3 sheets 2 the wind

3 sheets 2 the wind New Member

I want to see Wall World de blades, with that smiley face on the package.

3. redbeard

redbeard Member

I saw this at target the other day too!!

4. fmckinney53

fmckinney53 New Member

I think all the stores sell the MTO in the "Seen on TV section only" The VDH seems to feel heavier and better quality. Could not take the Micro touch one out of the box...packaged like Fort Knox(almost)....

Have you used the VDH or Micro touch one?? if so, How did it shave?

What does the 9306C look like saying it's the heavier than the other Weishi's?

Frank

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I don't know about the 9306-c being heavier than any of the other 9306's. I think there's confusion there. Weishi made a light TTO which was the Weishi 2004. It looks a lot like the 9306 but is lighter and more cheaply made. I have a feeling that people buying razors under different names other than Weishi think they're getting a 9306 and are really getting a 2004, which is a lighter, inferior product. I believe Weishi stopped making the 2004, but there are millions out there waiting to be sold still.

There are several different Weishi 9306's, and I believe they are all the same razor (NOT INCLUDING THE PLASTIC VERSION!) but with different finishes. The different finish may account for a very slight weight difference, but that's very slight and I doubt you can tell the difference in weight. The Microtouch and VDH razors should be the same, but different finishes as I believe they both are the 9306. I have the Microtouch, and it is the exact weight of my 1962 (If I remember the year correctly) Gillette Super Speed. Having both in my hands at the same time, I can't tell the difference between them. Looking at them, I can tell them apart from the finish, one is old one is new. Shaving with them, I can tell the apart because the Weishi is the better shave. (BURN THE HERETIC!)

What's sold at Sally and other places, I think may be 2004's, but as I don't have a doctorate in Weishi Razors, and I haven't purchased every razor Weishi has made, I consider myself a theorist instead of an expert. I say all this because I bought a noname brand TTO people on a different forum SWORE up and down was the Weishi 9306. I got it, and it was a terrible, POS. After that, I bought a Weishi TTO on Ebay that I thought was a 9306, but turned out to be a 2004. The 2004 and noname brand razor were exactly the same razor, and neither of them compare to the 9306 in looks, weight or feel.

6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have yet to see that razor at any local Wally World Store. Much less any DE Safety Razor Blades. The Wally World stores in the Area seem to Cater to the people from south of the border here in San Diego county. They also have signage in Spanish. (don't ask an employee they don't seem to speak English either)

7. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I've only seen them at Wally's in the As Seen on TV area near the registers.

8. PatrickA51

I have not seen them at all in the local Wally Worlds. Last week I went into a Wally World and it was the first time I had found VDH Shaving soap and Williams Shaving Soap, and many different A/S and Father's Day stuff and stuff for Graduation. Another way they sell stuff as last minute gifts.

9. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Very nice looking razor, and a good price. I think my wife gave about 10 for a nickle plated brush stand.

Online, Sally's is selling a Derby DE for $13...it is not in the store I went to. They are also not carrying Pinaud Bay Rum anymore. Clubman, is still $6.29, same as it was 3 years ago.

10. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Well, it appears I must eat some crow.
    I took another look at the MTO at my local Walmart. I ended up purchasing it, just to take it home and compare it to the Nanjie.
    There is no comparison. After I actually held this razor in my hands I can see it bears absolutely no resemblance to the Nanjie. It just looks like it a little, but the differences are obvious once you hold them both in your hands.
    The MTO weighs about 3 times as much, the metal is twice as thick. The chrome plating on the MTO is flawless, and much thicker than the Nanjie. I popped a blade in it, and the blade centers perfectly, with absolutely no play back to front or side to side. Blade exposure is even on both sides. This is a fairly good copy of a Gillette TTO. The TTO mechanism was a bit gritty, so I don't know about longevity, but a bit of baby oil smoothed it out. And I do not know if the head is brass or zamak, but for $19.88 this is a nice razor, IMO. I would not hesitate to recommend it to new wetshavers.
    I'm looking forward to shaving with it this evening.

11. Dr. Tim Wilkins

Dr. Tim Wilkins Active Member

That is a Shaving Factory. That was one of my first DE razors. IT was VERY aggressive and I was glad to find the MT1 until my Parker 92R arrived. Now the Sally's special sits lonely on a shelf as a reminder of an unkind shave.

12. PatrickA51

I went to Sally's to see if I could find a Shaving Factory Mug, (The White one) there are three of them in this area. Their web site says they are in stock in all the local locations. Nada ! and if you don't speak Spanish your SOL the people that work in the stores in this area, speak very broken English. :angry019:

13. fat_boy

fat_boy New Member

I used a rapira stainless and had a discussion with the MTO. Feather works well in there too. Seems to comp. for some of the mildness of the razor. Dorcos are terrible..

I got the black mug on amazon. I saw the white one on there as well.

I meant dfs instead of discussion. Sometimes auto correct is a pain in the butt.

14. dsharp

dsharp New Member

I have the MTO and the EJ89. The MTO is lighter and milder than the EJ89. It's not bad, but I'm sure it won't last as long as the EJ89. I'm new to wet shaving, but I certainly will be using the EJ89 more.

Funny story: When I tried the very mild Derby blade for the first time the other day I first tried it in the very mild MTO. On the first stroke I honestly thought I may have forgotten to put in the blade.

Ramaniac, fat_boy and burnout961 like this.
  15. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

The shave went well. Darned fine shave in two passes.
    I keep reading here and elsewhere that this razor is very mild. Some have even said it is so mild as to be unusable. I did not find this to be the case. The MT1 I got today is just a tad more aggressive than my Lady Gillette, so, I think along the lines of a Super Speed, if I recall correctly. A black handled SS was my first razor in the seventies. I will be shaving with this razor quite often, I think.

Ramaniac likes this.
  16. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

17. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Amen brother along with all DE supplies.

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Uh...it's "sister" but other than that, I agree.

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I ordered it from china for $8.53 free shipping. I wouldn't give $19 for it. I checked out the one at Walmart, and it was a "heavy" razor. I am actually looking forward to getting mine. If it is halfway decent, it will make a nice gift for a newbie.

20. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member