Osma??

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Pop Pops Razor, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Pop Pops Razor

Pop Pops Razor Active Member

Anyone ever use Osma with alum?
    Just wondering how it was?
    I noticed French soaps get bashed a lot. I never tried any French soap but is it not good or something or are you guys just goofing on it?

2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

From the soaps I've used. Yes French soaps suck... British, Italian, and American soaps are much better. But that is subjective- a few do like them. Pre de Provence I found to have slickness but absolutely no cushion. Le Pere Lucien was unstable (and over priced). MdC was decent- for a veggie soap but certainly not worth anywhere near its price. I think a lot of it's users suffer from cognitive dissonance...

But then again there are people who apparently have problems lathering Mitchell's and I find it to lather very easily. Also not everyone is looking for the same thing so they have a different standard of what is considered "good." Think about cars for example. Some people think Japanese cars are good because they are very cheap to own and reliable, others think German cars are good because of their performance and luxury.

With soaps, some like what they deem as a "creamy lather" such as what I experienced from MdC and Stirling- for me their definition of "creamy" is slimy.

Also their smell is certainly an acquired taste... It is different from what most any American or Brit (or anyone but the French really :D) would find to be pleasant.

Pop Pops Razor likes this.
  3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I love MdC. Performs wonderfully and I enjoy the scent. I don't however like the pricetag attached to it and that's why I don't have a stack of it (Yet!). Many soaps are polarizing, so its not only the French brands that have a love it or hate it kind of scent. I haven't tried Osma or LPL at all but if I do want a French soap I'm going for the King and nothing less ;)

Pop Pops Razor likes this.
  4. Pop Pops Razor

Pop Pops Razor Active Member

Than you both for those two down to earth and detailed answers!

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I haven't tried many French soaps, but I have to say I really enjoy using Institut Karite. The scent is a little powdery, but the performance and skin care is top notch. It has been my winter soap of choice for the last few years. I was gifted a chunk of LPL and have to say it is a pretty nice soap as well. I've been getting good shaves with it but am not totally sold on the scent. Just my opinion.

6. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I've been looking at the Osma soap, but i seem to find more negative reviews than good ones. From what i've read: The scent is a love it or hate it type. The lather is "weird" (probably due to the alum). It provides good protection. The tin it comes in is flimsy and prone to rust.

crackstar likes this.
  7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have only tried 2 french soaps - Pre de Provence and Provence Sante. They are both, IMHO, excellent soaps, producing very slick and cushioning shaves. I think the reason they get bashed is because some people are not able to get a decent lather quickly, if at all, with French soaps. With a little work most people will be able to get a great lather out of them.

I think of it this way: If they have been in business for more than a couple of years, then someone thinks their products are worth buying. Of course, they still make SPAM and I have only met a hand full of people who will admit to eating it.

PanChango likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Head to Hawaii, they are nuts over Spam. I like spam, but rarely eat it because it is not so good for you. Then again I like Scrapple as well...

BigMark, Adonis and markjnewcomb like this.
  9. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I also like Spam and Scrapple.. Well the Alabama version of fried scrapple anyway lol

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nope.
    I have been quite happy with the majority of French-made shaving soaps I have tried. 'One size never fits all' —so consider opinions will vary no matter the origin of the soap.
    For overall performance in French-made soaps, you can't go wrong with either Martin de Candre or L'Occitane Cade. I have not used the Institute Karite hard soap, but the IK cream is exceptional.
    Pre de Provence and Provence Sante are also excellent soaps and priced more affordably than say the MdC or Cade bowl. I personally don't find them to be quite on the same level of performance as the initial two listed, but they do the job quite well. Dale mentioned a 'powdery' scent, and this seems to be common in many French soaps. If one is sensitive to certain powdery scents (or you just don't like 'em ...Tabac!), best to sniff 'em before you buy 'em!
    Perhaps more than a 'few' —and, doc, I think there's a formal fallacy in your diagnosis...:D

11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Sorry folks. Of course I didn't mean to exclude the Hawaiians, I merely left them out for the sake of illustration.

BTW, this also goes to those in Guam, South Sea Islanders, etc. :angelic007:

12. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Also their smell is certainly an acquired taste... It is different from what most any American or Brit (or anyone but the French really :D) would find to be pleasant.[/quote]
    So are we talking escargot scented or maybe Limburger cheese?:D

13. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

So are we talking escargot scented or maybe Limburger cheese?:D[/quote]

MdC- minty dirt to me or "wet dog" according to some
    LPL- minty raw shea butter
    PdP- laundry detergent

I like frog legs- they taste like chicken with a slightly fishy taste.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Per the manufacturer (translated) :
    MdC: "The perfume is a fresh blend of natural essential oils (Benson, Rosemary, lavender, mint)...
    I get the 'lavender, mint and rosemary, but there's also a slightly 'camphor 'scent
    L'Occitane Cade: "...natural juniper, with cedar and rosemary."
    A more subtle scent than MdC, more powdery, but the juniper is nice.
    Pre de Provence: ..."aromatic sage"
    Definitely a 'sage' shaving soap. I've used the bar/shower soap for years.
    Institut Karite:.."delicately perfumed.."
    light, floral and powdery. At first I think 'roses', then Ivory soap.
    Le Pere Lucein: "...notes of lavender, rosemary, sage and eucalyptus,"
    an initially strong herbal scent, but dissipates with use
    Provence Santé Green Tea: "A blend of springtime floral and tea.."
    Very subtle fragrance; more floral than 'tea.'

Bussemand likes this.
  15. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I like SPAM just fine, love fried SPAM with scrambled eggs. Also, it was the main food source for the Vikings if I recall correctly.

I would have tried Scrapple, until my wife, who is from PA, told me what it is. :sick007:

Adonis likes this.