Ogallala Bay Rums

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Omaney, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Folks, when the directions say to shake well, take heed. I like the Ogallala product much better now. Smells great and now that I've used it properly, the expected aftershave experience has been found.

Carry on

Bristle Me likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Indeed. The oils will separate and so a good thorough shake is necessary to ensure good distribution of fragrance and skin soothers.

Bristle Me and PatrickA51 like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yep, many have learned that lesson the hard way. Or, have not learned it, and chucked what is a wonderful bay rum.

The directions should probably read: Shake very very very well. Yes, seriously. We mean it. Honest. Just do it and shut up. :D

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Rick Ocasek said it best…

Kilgore Trout, maltedmilk and richgem like this.
  5. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Good to know as I plan to order some!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. richgem

Yet another case of how opposites attract in the rock world.

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

It's ironic, I'm in the pest control biz and not reading product labels is very bad joss.

8. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Absolutely !!!!! One product where not shaking leads to disaster :(

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I do that also. Make sure if you use a PSO to shake it also. I don't know about Ogallala Bay Rum. I have some Captains Choice I always shake the bottle of for that matter any liquid product I use.

TMDE Dan likes this.
  10. TMDE Dan

TMDE Dan Member

Even after a very very very good shaking there will still be just a little separation of all the oils. You are just making the droplets of oil smaller (Ogallala simply doesn't use all the weird chemicals to keep everything in solution). This is wonderful stuff (all their scents). The soaps are a bit thirsty but they still have skin care that is every bit as good as their aftershaves. Multiple thumbs up for Ogallala's products and customer services.

ObiDon and Razor Blade X like this.
  11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Ogallala Bay Rum and Orange!

Yummmmmmmm... :happy069:

12. BJV

BJV Active Member

I just got some Ogallala Bay Rum (yes, shook the hell out of it), and one day later I can still smell the clove oil on my face. Reminds me of how the house smells when my wife makes ham and cabbage (the ham is loaded with cloves).

I'm not sure I want to smell like a St. Patty's Day dinner all day long. Any suggestions on how to tame this stuff down a little? Vanilla perhaps? Mint oil? Orange Oil?

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I doubt you can mellow it out. That'd be like trying to lighten black paint. You'd need a lot of stuff to cut it. Maybe mix it with a bottle of Snake Bite, that would rock!

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Use less of it? Mask it with a healthy splash of The Veg? :D
    It is what it is—and certain bay rums have a prominent nose of certain spices. Often it is clove—which can overpower all other ingredients. The Ogallala Lime & Peppercorn Bay Rum has more of a citrus scent, which mellows the 'spiciness' of the BR.

15. richgem

I thought St. Paddy's Day smelled more like stale beer. :scared007:

;)

16. BJV

BJV Active Member

That's another scent I'm going to try...

17. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Am I glad I read this thread. Now I am not so sure I want to try Bay Rum.

18. richgem

You could probably cut it with either rubbing alcohol (beware the burn), or a minimally scented witch hazel.

BigMark likes this.
  19. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Sure am glad I didn't think this about Thai food...

BigMark likes this.
  20. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Fair point I guess, I just do not want to smell like a clove all day. I like that smell but not enough to wear it.