Not feeling it....

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Grick, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Grick

Grick Active Member

I had my straight professionally honed and thought it's super sharp I'm not feeling the straight razor shave. As much as I enjoyed watching straight shave videos, as soon as I gave it a shot myself, I've realized that I don't really enjoy it. I don't enjoy it enough to hone my skills nor to put up with cuts and nicks. I would shave with a straight with the grain first and then with a safety with the grain and against the grain and I immediately realized how much more enjoyable it felt to have my beautiful safeties glide effortlessly over my skin. Thus, I'm giving up on straights. I won't sell my straight though because it's still a beauty but as far as shaving goes: safety first!
    :happy108:

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    It is not for everyone :) but at least you tried it, gotta give the props for that

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Nothing wrong with trying it an not liking it! Maybe down the road you'll revisit it an change your mind too, you never know!

Mr. Oldschool likes this.
  4. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

How many times did you try it?

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My first attempt was, shall we say, rather disappointing.
    Then I realized I still needed to use shaving cream, just like any other razor….
    :p

But seriously though, it does take time and although it didn't work out for you, at least, as Glen stated above, good on you for giving it a go!
    Half the battle is getting the confidence to try it! :happy088:

6. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

good on you for giving it a go. any pictures of your straight?

maybe one day you'll try it out again. ;)

7. Grick

Grick Active Member

About two dozen times.

8. Grick

Grick Active Member

No pictures but it's a Tiers Issard with white plain white scales.

9. Grick

Grick Active Member

I'm not ruling out giving it another go. For now though, I enjoy safety shaving far too much.

10. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

You never know until you try. You might not be feeling it now but if you do keep the straight you can always try again later

11. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

Grick,

I am in the same boat as you.
    My first two attempts with a cutthroat were exactly that. Then I put it aside for several weeks.
    Then I covered the edge with cellulose tape and practiced and practiced.
    Then three days ago, after watching numerous internet demonstrations and reading many letters , I tried again.
    One small nick but it was not a good shave and certainly not enjoyable.
    Two more tries on the next two days. No cuts but no joy. Apprehension may be the spoiler.
    All of these shaves were given a fourth pass with my very old but now even more appreciated Rolls Razor.
    But I am determined to give it a full month before throwing in my red stained towel.
    Who knows I might finally learn what all the straight shavers know.

Mickey

12. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Honestly, when I first tried straight shaving, I was very enthused until I touched blade to face. The case of razor burn I gave myself was so horrific I gave the whole gig up. I don't think I even attempted a second try at that time. Very discouraged, I put away my razor and forgot the whole notion of straight shaving as "out of my reach". About ten years later, the bug returned... I don't like leaving a challenge undefeated. I like to get the job done and rise victorious. So that failure bugged me. Once I started thinking about it again, I started looking around and found the considerably improved wealth of information that was missing when I tried last time. The better instructions gave fuel to the enthusiasm I had lost years ago, and I tried again. My results were better and my expectations were more realistic, so my enthusiasm stayed and I stuck with it. That was about a year ago, and I am still enjoying my straights, while also enjoying the DE along with it. If the bug returns for you, it returns, and you're all set to give it another go. If not, no loss to you (aside from the cost of your razor making for a very expensive paperweight). Good on you for giving it a solid try.

Hanzo likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

After a hiatus I am getting back into straights. To me its another great facet of the wet shaving experience and an avenue by which to keep the hobby interesting to me. I had a few straights honed up by Glen recently and using them reminded me of the high of straight use , the chance to get a really smooth and comfortable shave with a well honed edge.

I have had highs, memorably comfortable shaves that truly were very enjoyable and lows; honing failure, cuts , irritated shaves, but I am excited about straights again and bought a honing set up to give it another go and I feel this time I'll be successful in getting it down. I honed up an inexpensive razor recently and the resulting shave was promising.

I think for the guy who is coming from DE's to straights it can be discouraging because the results are not as easy and immediate as with a DE. Also guys are enjoying and learning so much at one time with their wet shaving that the patience and focus necessary to get straights right might not be present. So I would say not to throw straight razor use " out of your heart" but realize what moment in time it is for you in your wet shaving experience , your mind set, expectations. This way I think we can make straight use good for us instead of just saying, " its not good for me".

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Paulie and Mr. Oldschool like this.
  14. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I should also add, that the interim between my first experiment with straights and my current renaissance was not entirely wasted. I learned the notion of shave soap from that first foray, and over the years I never did go back to canned shaving cream. By the time I tried again, I was quite adept at getting a good lather, which makes any type of shaving better than the canned variety of cream ever can!

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

20140617_162226.jpg
    talk about a noob. I started into the whole world of wetshaving, trying to fugue out how to sharpen this:
    with my wetstone,formy pocketknives.
    I didn't even know that this was a replica. although I did get a shave our two from it before it dulled.
    so I say, where there's a will there's a way. not feeling it, put it away for a while. you may come back to it