Tabac shaving soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Darkbulb, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I would love that because I dont really get what you mean with square bottomed =P Its a cool mug, I would like to see how it looks because I might pursue it =)

2. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

im one of those who loves the scent and used it almost daily. family knew how muched i liked it they went over board and bought me 5 creams and two pucks. got burned out using it so now only pull it out 1-2 times a month now.

Bobcat likes this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Tabac is one of the best shaving soaps around. The scent is powdery, so some might associate it with older people. I like the scent, but not a lot. After finding artisan soaps that worked just as well but cost much less, I switched to the artisan soaps.

maltedmilk and Tdmsu like this.
  4. Wawmd

Wawmd Member

Please take some time to go to the ladies fragrance counter. Smell the No5 Chanel. Or as I now call it, Tabac

HolyRollah and Bristle Me like this.
  5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

@Omelmad

Sorry for the delay!
    My camera was at work. Here you go.

Overall

Pfaltzgraff diameter 20pct.jpg

Rim height

Pfaltzgraff w_ruler 20pct.jpg

She's got a flat bottom...

Pfaltzgraff mug 10pct.jpg

Hope this helps!

Omelmad likes this.
  6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Thanks alot =) i had forgot about it =P it is a cool bowl. Someone gav me a tip about a Pottery makter in uk with some cool and similar bowls. It would be easier to order from UK than from US =D

7. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

OK so I am feeling a bit stupid. But when you're wrong you're wrong. So earlier in the thread I stated how when I first used Tabac it smelled awful, but then I got used to the smell and its OK now. The other day I was applying the Tabac lather and noticed that horrible smell again... Weird. Then I figured it out if I use Trumpers Sandalwood soap one day and the next day Tabac, it seems to produce a horrible smell on the brush that I find quite rancid. Time for a brush bath I think. Have to say this is now one of my favourite soaps.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

We all can admit that scent is subjective (my favorite soap scent may be a stench to your nose)—which makes all this discussion rather interesting.
    In my own household, opinions vary (Smell this!) on various soaps, so my main guidelines in choosing which soap to use are:
    • does it sufficiently produce a decent lather?
    • does it offend either my wife's or my nose? (with a greater weight on the opinion of SWMBO) ;)

maltedmilk likes this.
  9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

If I use Tabac soap and finish with Old Spice AS I'm on the puke train to Nope-ville.

Some scents just clash horrible. :-(

Mr. Shaverman, BigMark and Slow Joe like this.
  10. Slow Joe

:
    I am still pretty new to all of this so I never actually thought before about good or bad combinations of smells when shaving, but with all these wonderful soaps and aftershaves to try its something to think about. I'll just use different brushes for Trumpers and Tabac. lol :);)

11. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Nopeville lulz.

[​IMG]

12. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

So... I've always been an advocate of the Tabac scent. I like it. Still do.

But I can't use it. Not often that is. It is just too heavy scented. I feel heavy headed and weighed down by it.

It could suffice plenty good with just a third of the added perfume.

I'll not rid my Den of it. It's smell reminds me of my late grandfather. I just can't use it that much.

KLF likes this.
  13. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I recently broke down and bought some Tabac and honestly...it is probably the best shaving soap I have ever encounter. But the scent is peculiar. I had a funny experience when I first got it...I opened the wrapper and took a big whiff and I was instantly transported to my mother-in-law's house. I mean it smelled exactly like her husband and her house! I handed it to my wife and told her to smell it and tell me what it reminds you of. She sniffed it and said "oh my god, it smells like my mom's basement." Weird huh. So this helped me identify what Tabac smells like. You see my mother-in-laws husband smokes cigarettes in the basement of the house. It makes her home smell a bit like stale cigarettes. I often hear people ask, does Tabac smell like tobacco? I would say yes absolutely but not like you think. Most people have in mind a tobacco leaf smell but I think Tabac actually smells a bit like burning tobacco leaf...a little bit like stale cigarette smoke. It's not the most inviting scent to me but I don't dislike it either. I use Tabac every day because the soap is just so quality! But I understand why some find it offensive. For me, I kinda like it...but I sure wouldn't seek it out for a cologne fragrance.

Bristle Me, KLF and Tdmsu like this.
  14. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Tabac is my second favorite soap, after MdC. I like the smell and I like the performance. I have the aftershave, EdT and an deodorant stick ☺

tuxxdk likes this.
  15. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I ordered some tonight, on the reputation of the later alone. Then I'm reading this thread and reading how it smells terrible. lol. I wonder how I'll like it.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It's a soap I keep thinking about buying...if I didn't have such a full soap-shelf already.
    Do review it when you get it :)

17. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

7 months later and you still haven't bought it? I'll definitely review it. I'm really curious about the scent.

18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Wow, definitely not trying Tabac.

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I love the Tabac EdC so I'm thinking/hoping the soap scent would be similar.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  20. Slow Joe

At first I couldn't stand it, but it has grown on me, and in terms of performance it is one of the best and most reliable soaps I own.

Omelmad and Darkbulb like this.