DE Newb Here!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Brian H., Jul 3, 2014.

1. Brian H.

Brian H. Member

Hey all, I have been wet shaving for the last 20+ years with Sensor Excell and Mach 3 and various lotions/creams, but recently thought I'd give a DE a try. After much researching, I bought the Colonel Conk apothecary set from a local shop. It came with the Merkur #180 long handled razor, and their blades and soap. I have tried the soap/lather a couple times now and will continue to perfect my technique, but today I tried a new-to-me cream from Men's Stock called Northwoods Shave Cream and WOW what a nice shave. I have used Burt's Bees(very good), Neutrogena(good), and Jack Black Beard Lube(very good) before with my Machs and all gave very good shaves, but this stuff is on a whole 'nother level!

Right now I am having some issues with razor burn on my neck, but I think with time I'll get it figured out. I have really enjoyed my last three shaves with the DE and makes it kinda fun to experiment with different techniques and products. I am not so sure about the soap/lather thing since creams provide a ton of lube and don't need reapplied for second and third passes.

My first big question: How do you know when it's time to change blades? Shave count? Feel?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome! I use a blade twice. Starts to tug, replace. Happy Shaving! Again, Welcome to TSD..

Omelmad, Brian H. and GDCarrington like this.
  3. Dr. Tim Wilkins

Dr. Tim Wilkins Active Member

Welcome to the Den!

Omelmad, Brian H. and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Welcome!!

As you try blades, you'll notice they start to pull, tug, cut and nick. That means it's time to toss it. The time frame's a variable for by the brand and the person using it. Some people claim a week's shaving on a blade, but I only do three and I'm done. You'll figure out yours.

Brian H., J_Man and GDCarrington like this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

As for the number of uses currently, until you get past the learning experience you should limit each blade to 2 - 4 uses.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

RaZorBurn123 and Brian H. like this.
  6. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Welcome to the den. Nice setup you have there :)

Brian H. and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi and welcome to TSD! Happy Shavings!

Brian H. likes this.
  8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you here.

Brian H. likes this.
  9. BadgerMan

BadgerMan Member

For some of us three shaves is longer than a week ;)

Welcome! How are you finding the Merkur 180? I am looking at getting one as I currently only have a short handled razor which I find a little fiddly. At least I was until I read another thread about Webers... :signs002:

Brian H. likes this.
  10. Brian H.

Brian H. Member

Honestly, I've only used it three times - just got it three days ago. I knew I'd like the long handle better - and do. I like the weight and and feel as well, but I have nothing to compare it to since it's my first DE. The guys that helped me out said it's a good rig to start with. Maybe after a month or more I'll start trying out some other setups.

11. lilbones99

lilbones99 Member

Welcome to the den!

Brian H. likes this.
  12. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Welcome! Are you using Merkur blades? Those blades are known to be tuggy. They gave me brutal razor burn. In addition to continuing to improve your technique, you may want to consider trying different blades. A sampler would work or you can buy some 5 packs of your own. I like Rapira PL, Astra SP, gillette black, Voskhod, and Polsilver/super iridium. Once you find one brand you like, stick with it for 30 days as per GDCarrington's advice.

Brian H. likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    welcome.jpg
    Most DE blades are pretty cheap (cost wise) so just change blades whenever the blade quits being smooth. I have gotten as many as 19 good shaves out of a Shark Super Chrome. I changed because I got bored. I usually change 5-7 days unless there is a problem. I got only two shaves once. You will know.

Brian H. likes this.
  14. ILove2Shave

ILove2Shave Member

Welcome to The Den !!

Brian H. likes this.
  15. Brian H.

Brian H. Member

Yeah, the Merkur super platinum is what came with it. I'll keep using them for a while until I get better with technique and how the different passes affect my skin. I think I'll order one of those samplers off Amazon. :shaver

16. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Welcome to The Shave Den. I would definitely try out a few different blades.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Welcome, Brian!
    Some good advice already given, so i'll just contribute my 2¢…

Blades are cheap; I enjoy shaving. I don't enjoy experiencing dull blades; they ruin a good shave.
    Two shaves, then change the blade. Problem solved. ;)

Omelmad likes this.
  18. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Hi there..:)

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

In no expert, still a noob myself, but I've learned that I tended to overwork my neck area probably because the contours make it more difficult. This usually left me with a close shave...and a sore neck. Until you get the hang of things you have go lightly and, sometimes, you just have to say "I'm done". May not be perfect, but it will leave your neck in a better place. "Perfect" will come later. I've heard your face has to get used to DE shaving.

Bristle Me likes this.
  20. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Welcome

Brian H. likes this.