Vintage or Modern, which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Both

Merkur 15C yesterday.
    The 1955 Super Speed today.

John Beeman likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

3. Charles K

Charles K New Member

So far vintage, I really like my Slim and 54 SS, but I will keep looking around.

4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

So I don't get spanked, Yes to both.............

About 90:10 towards Vintage Gillette's though.

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Perfectly clear to me.

I like my DE89, but as I get used to this I think its a bit too mild forcing me to overwork my shave. Can't stand my SS. My Slim is my favorite. So, I guess it's vintage by default. But...RAD may lead me elsewhere.

6. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

Modern for me...i like my kronos.

Only vintage i like is gem ocmm

7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I go for vintage. First, there are more models to choose (DE and SE). Second, though they are of course inanimate utensils, they have a history and deserve to be used and to be appreciated. Besides, I'm an old fashioned guy who simply likes old fashioned gear, utensils, cars, ships, sewing machines and whatnot. I am still looking for a smartphone from the 1930's! ;)

fram773 likes this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

New. Give me something shiny that hasn't been used to shave Charles Manson's arm pits and I'm happy. I don't care what the history of the razor supposedly is, I'm prettty sure Charles Manson used it on his pits at some point. If I think about that when I shave, the shave goes bad. Sometimes the history of an object is interesting, but for personal hygiene items, I prefer something without a history.

markjnewcomb, J_Man and John Beeman like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Fair enough, but nothing produced by the human body can withstand 99% alcohol, Barbicide and 212°.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  10. Mr. Shaverman

You're right, but that's beside the point as far as I'm concerned! There's no chemical strong enough or water hot enough to kill an imagination.

Darkbulb likes this.
  11. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Vintage but open to suggestion...lol

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Vintage for me. I have a couple of modern razors, and one day they will be vintage. I have no plans for acquiring any more modern razors.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There's some flavors of vodka I'd like to introduce you to :)

14. Mr. Shaverman

I'm afraid that would fuel the imagination... lol

PatrickA51 likes this.
  15. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

I was strictly vintage until I tried a Weber PH, now I'm modern.

Mr. Shaverman, Bobcat and PatrickA51 like this.
  16. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my vintage razors (super adjustable, red tip, 40's SS, new LC, techs). However I find that when I'm not using a straight razor, the DE I reach for is my Muhle r41 head with Weber classic handle.

So both.

17. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Both, because I've found that different razors have different personalities.

1949 Superspeed - My favorite all-around razor. I can always count on getting a great shave from it.

Fatboy - If I want an irritation-free shave I can set this on 3 for my face and 1 for my neck

Tech - Super versatile razor that can get under my nose easily

Vintage Bakelite Slant - When I have several days of growth, nothing slices through my facial hair more easily or painlessly. I can't wait to get my hands on the RazoRock Stealth Razor which was modeled after this razor.

Merkur 34 HD - This was my first razor and I did not care for it at all. I always got bad razor burn from it.

RazoRock Mission - I've been using this a lot lately. It's a good shaver and for $20 an absolute steal.

Cobra Classic - I briefly owned one earlier this year. Very cool design, but was waaaay too aggressive for me.

Feather Portable (no longer manufactured) - Looks like a tech...much more aggressive. I've had a love/hate relationship with mine. Frankly, like my tech a whole lot better.

18. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

For me nothing beats the heft and feel of a modern razor and I am pretty much with Shaverman about where I imagine every used razor I own having been...Every time I get a razor off of Ebay I have this stomach turning image of it being passed around a room full of weird hairy guys having some gross body shaving party.

19. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

For the last few months I've been using a GEM Featherweight while I've varied the soaps/creams to determine which I want to keep. For some reason, I like to use razors as old or older than I am. I expect I will eventually settle on my birth year and quarter razors, but it's hard to date the GEMS.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I think I need a modern razor now.