Tiki Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by CyanideMetal, Feb 21, 2014.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

A friend of mine has been telling me about Tiki Shave soaps for a couple of months, but being happy where I was with my soap harem and what not, I resisted. That is until I read about Mr. Wonderful's 426+ soaps and inadequacy set in.

Tiki soaps are artisan made in Bessemer Alabama by Amanda Stott. She sells direct from her website HERE or thru Etsy. She makes bath soaps, mud masks and other creations in addition to shave soaps. Her shave soaps come in 2 formulations: Vegan and Tallow. Shipping is a flat $6 no matter how much you order.

So, I ordered 2 tallow shave pucks in the flavor of The Captain and Set Sail. The Captain scent is similar to Cavenish from HTGAM and Set Sail is a fresh Springtime scent. The soap puck is very soft an pliable so you can mash it into any container you wish or you can order the soap in a tin container from Amanda.

I know we routinely go thru soaps around here like a 4 year old goes thru socks and some soaps we like and others we don't so I'm carful not to be overly dramatic. But when I say that this soap is some of the best stuff I've ever used, I don't say that flippantly and mean it. It actually starts to lather just by approaching it with a brush. It's not finicky with water amounts. It just lathers. And lathers. And lathers.

The protection and glide are terrific. I handled the soap to run my brush over it and rinsed my hand off before I started to shave and I could feel the slickness on my fingers when I tried to wash it off. I made my usual 3 passes with zero problems. After my first pass, I could have just slightly wet my face and made my 2nd pass. It's that slick.

The soap left my face feeling soft and smooth after the shave. I smoothed a little shea butter on and I was set. I don't like to rank soaps because there are a couple that I really like such as Sterling, RazoRock and LPL but Tiki now ranks up there with my all time favorites. Give Amanda a visit and maybe try a puck for yourself.

JBSharp, Bristle Me, dscaver and 3 others like this.
  2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I have the vegan Set Sail on the way..............

Amanda also has a PHD in Chemistry!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

sounds good but it's a little pricey for me. :(

richgem likes this.
  4. CyanideMetal

I bought 2 pucks at $10 a piece with $6 shipping makes it $13 per puck.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

The price is now $14/puck + $6 shipping: $20.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

It's $14 with a container, $10 for just a puck. I agree, some of the best I've tried. I have a review of it up here from a few weeks ago when I got mine...

PatrickA51 and ObiDon like this.
  7. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

It looked like the tallow was $14 and the vegan $10. A couple of tallow with shipping and you're looking at $17 each. One of each and you're still at $15 a puck. Not saying it's the be all and end all but I can get two 4.5oz pucks of Stirling for $17-18 shipped. When you're on a budget that's a massive difference.

PatrickA51 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks for the lead and review. I bookmarked her site. As far as the price goes, if it's good I have no issue paying for it.

9. CyanideMetal

I just buy the puck refills for $10.

dscaver and PatrickA51 like this.
  10. CyanideMetal

You can buy either tallow or vegan for $10 a puck refill. I bought mine thru etsy. She doesn't have the tallow refills on her website yet.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Sure are a bunch of good artisan soaps on the market. Thanks for the info.

PatrickA51, Tdmsu and moz68 like this.
  12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have a sample of this on the way from a friend. I saved my MdC sample just so I could compare the two side by side.

PatrickA51, ObiDon and oscar11 like this.
  13. oscar11

It's great to have insomnia, I'm pretty sure I placed an order around 3:30 A.M. this morning but it's all like a bad dream today.

dscaver, PatrickA51, ObiDon and 4 others like this.
  14. oscar11

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol.

15. CyanideMetal

Boy, do I know that feeling. The worst is when I wake up and honestly can't remember what I ordered, if anything. I start searching thru my emails to see what order confirmations I got last night. Ha!

16. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

The ingredients are: Vegetable glycerin, stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, fragrance, coconut acid mea, coconut oil.

Says so on http://tikibarsoap.com/product/vegan-shaving-soap/ but I don't see it in the pictures written on the tubs.

Glycerin is at the top. Does this make it a melt and pour soap?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

She said somewhere, on her Facebook page I think, that she adds a bunch of glycerin for moisturizing and feel in the vegan formula, but it's not a glycerin-based soap, nor a melt and pour base she's buying and tweaking. She is making from-scratch hot process soap.

That ingredients list, oddly, I see it's from her site, but it's fairly different from what's listed on the packaging. On the tub, glycerol is way down the list toward the end: http://imgur.com/7ruFCh3

PatrickA51 and Bobcat like this.
  18. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just got my Set Sail Vegan this week. The ingredients do not match up with her web-site. Great soap though. I posted in the Review thread.

[​IMG]

PatrickA51 likes this.
  19. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i just got to use tiki land locked tonight for the first time...mostly an orange type scent with some other added notes to it....interesting scent....not a bright orange scent like don marco....more of a patchouli orange scent. the soap was nice. the lather was easy and slick too. overall i liked it and glad i received it. a splash of lucky tiger afterwards and now i feel great.

20. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

I ordered a tub of Amanda's Citrus Mint Blast two weeks ago before I left on a fishing trip to Oregon. When I got home I checked the order status and my order had been canceled. I don't know how I did this??? I reordered the soap on July 5th.

As an aside, I purchased some Catie Bubbles shaving soap a few months ago. This soap creates a thick and rich lather like nobody's bussiness. I kept the sandalwood and PIFed the rose because the rose smelled like rose, go figure.