POLSILVER Super Iridium

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dave Paskowski, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I'm on my second round of using the PolSilver IRs. They are a decent blade. Not quite as sharp as the Voskhods, not quite as smooth as the Astra SPs, but a good solid blade. I haven't tried to push them past 3 shaves yet.

2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

http://www.tryablade.com/

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone recommend it yet. You can order as few or as many as you would like, reasonable prices, and it's only $2 shipping. Mine only took about 3 days to arrive too. I just bought 5 blades each of a handful of types that I've been wanting to try, including the Super Iridiums.

RaZorBurn123 and Adonis like this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

+1 on Tryablade.com

Wish I'd of thought of that idea for a site. Genius.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

I still have about 30 of these left, but they're not Polsilvers. They come in a blue pack of ten, but they say Super Iridium on them. Not sure if the Polsilvers are the same, better or worse. The Polsilvers I have are not Super Iridium either so I'm confused. In my experience, the Russian blades vary from great to no so great. You have to try them all. I've used Rapira blades which I thought were great, and then you read what people write about them, and it almost makes you question yourself if you shaved with the same blade. My favorite blade now at least in this new razor are the Bolzanos. On one forum or website, just about every person who got them, trashed them. The things people write sometimes really make you wonder. Then on another vendor's site, everyone praised them. When it comes to shaving, you really have to try everything yourself. A pack of very cheaply made blades may work better than the most expensive. These are the Super Iridium I have and I don't want to run out of them because I'm not sure if you can still get these. Well you probably can, but they cost a fortune.

. sijb.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Supposedly, the Iridium Supers and the Polsiver SI's are the same blade with new packaging. The brown box and brown/blue/black box Polsilver's are different blades.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

I have the brown box. Well it's brown, silver and blue I think. They're good. All the Russian blades work well for me. Ladas, all of the Rapiras, Voskhod, etc. They really know how to make razor blades. Maybe not the 7 O'Clock blades. I'll pass on those. I've had terrible luck with them. I haven't used the Polsilver Super Iridiums. Like you said, they're probably the same. Although vendors charge more for the blue packs because they're scarce. I like the Polsilvers I have, but I don't think I would buy them again. They're too expensive. They're like $1 a blade. Seriously, it was $9 for 10 blades.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I order from TryABlade often.

8. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Hi JBMAN1974, I'm a little confused by the thread, so if I apologize if I'm not helping. You can still get the blue Super Iridium. Italian Barber currently sells 50 for $23 for example. That is .46 cents a blade. Still pricey for DE blades, but not a $1 a blade.

This is what the brown pack looks like:
    [​IMG]

My understanding is that these are harder to find and buy in bulk. I did quite a bit of reading on this a few months ago and the consensus at the time seemed to be that there was not a lot of difference between the blades/they might be identical.

9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've never tried the old Iridium Supers but the current production Polsilver Super Iridiums are pretty darn good. I got some from a guy on B&B who lives in Eastern Europe and sells them for around $25 per 100. They just take a couple weeks to get to you.

Bobcat likes this.
  10. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

I love that place. I get stuff from them all the time. $23 for 50 isn't too bad, but it's still expensive for razor blades. When you see how fast those things get spit out of the machine, it's kinda hard to spend over a certain amount. The original Polsilvers are really good, but I just have a feeling you're paying for limited production rather than high end quality. I found out the hard way that you don't need to spend a fortune to get a great shave. $23. Mmhh. I may have to get those though because they I like them. That's better deal than paying almost $1 a blade. I've used both, and I think the original Polsilvers are a little better. It's hard to tell over just over few shaves.

11. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I actually found a pack of Polsilver Super Iridiums. Didn't even know I had these. Okay, from the looks of it, they are identical to the ones in the blue pack. Same inner wrap, the print is identical. The ones in the brown and gold pack are completely different. These are the ones I paid $1 a blade for. They're great, but not great enough for $1. I wouldn't pay that again. Looking at the Polsilver Super Iridiums, I can't see why the blue packs are anymore expensive from a quality standpoint. Unless you're paying for the box.

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

13. digitaldome

digitaldome Well-Known Member

+1...great site, and great selection

14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Omelmad likes this.
  15. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have both the original brown pack polsilver blades and the "new" ones.
    I am not a fan of the latter, but I love the original ones. An excellent blade.
    Both versions can be purchased from shaving.ie
    http://www.shaving.ie/bulk-pack-de-blades/

Sadly they have almost doubled the price of the original polsilvers since my last visit :(

16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Gonna try the PolSilver Super Irridium in my 1911 OLD starting Sunday. Looking forward to it.

RyX likes this.
  17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Ive tried Polsilvers a few time and for me a certain NO (just not smooth or sharp enough), I will stick with Rapira or Astra when I am not using a straight.
    I know blades are a YMMV item and I know these blades have a big following.

I hope they are better for you.

18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I do too. However I have Rapira next up in the queue.

Zykris likes this.
  20. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Nice blade. I got a few in a trade here on TSD. Got 3 nice shaves out if it. Would I buy them? Probably not considering my favorite blades are less expensive. But they are nice !!!

Zykris and PanChango like this.