From slim to ... ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rider, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Rider

Rider Member

Hi Guys and Gals

I have been wet shaving for around a year now. At the start I had a few razors but sold them all except the gillette slim which is my go to tool. I only ever use it on 5 (although sometimes I use it on nine just under the snoz). I do 2-3 passes WTG after a face lather with some "hippy shop" soap. I don't need a long handle as I pinch under the head.

I am thinking of getting a second razor that would match the slim on 5. I am thinking of a red tip? But at the start when I had a red tip it was too much for me.

Any suggestions on a new razor? I am the kind of person who really only wants one good tool for any given job so I would sell the slim if I found something better.

Thanks

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Time to break out of the DE doldrums and try an SE, maybe a GEM 1912 or a Schick injector.

markjnewcomb, dscaver, Rider and 2 others like this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, you will find that most razors are a compromise in one respect or another. If you are looking for the "all around tool" the Gillette Adjustables of the late 1950s through the early 1970s are in my opinion the best in that regard. You may want to try other razors, but the Slim is number one with me for the reason you stated.

Rider and ObiDon like this.
  4. Rider

Rider Member

I guess that I might already have the best razor.

As for S/E I am staying away from such things while I have young ones at home.

Thanks guys

5. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I would recommend a long comb my shave today from a new standard is just as good as from my slim handle...just saying.

Rider likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If you can get your hands on a Schick adjustable, I think you would be very pleased. The Schick I2 is also an excellent razor.

Rider and maltedmilk like this.
  7. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    To echo Gary, I think the slim is a pretty well rounded DE. It represents the DE genre pretty well, so I am not real sure what you are looking for. Some of us like to try out the various razor personalities, so have many razors in rotation. However, if you want to stick to just one razor, why switch at all?

:signs011:

I give a hearty +1 to Tom's invitation to the sharp side, though! If you want to stay away from the GEM type, it would not hurt to consider a Schick injector. There is a lot of reading here on The Den why folks like them. The blades stow inside a box and stay fairly well away from little hands (probably better than DE blades!). AND... if you research it and want to give it a try... I'll loan you a Schick HydroMagic with the option to purchase after you've given it a go. Just PM me.

Um... I have a spare Schick Krona DE and could make the same loan offer. The Krona is my favorite TTO I've tried to date (but I consider Gillette adjustables a separate class).

Whoa! Am I a Schick fan? I never noticed that before!

Rider likes this.
  8. Rider

Rider Member

Hi, Thanks for the offer, I am on the far side of the globe. I researched the Schick when I started out and read a lot of good stuff but blades are not easy to get here. Also I have 200 odd astras and elka D/E blades to use up. For me at 5 shaves a blade, 3 shaves a weeks, it might take some time. I think I will stick with the slim. I was wrong to doubt it, it never really lets me down, no cuts, no problems.

I had not thought about a new razor in a long time but I had a crack and designing a D/E razor shirt today. That lead to me looking at lots of blades, and that lead to me lusting after something new.

Was good to get your take on it though, saved me money!

My shirt design is in these links, I guess that it may be against rules to post links like that so I am happy for this to be deleted if I have broken rules. It is a simple design but it seems with shirts simple is sometimes best. Society6 and red bubble

maltedmilk likes this.
  9. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Red Tips are good razors, but it may be a tad more aggressive than a Slim on #5 (more like a 6/7 Slim equiv). The EJs are more like a 5 IMHO. Both the Red Tip and EJs are fine shavers, but if either choice depends on jettisoning the Slim, I would stick with the Slim. I doubled down on my Slim and got it replated in rhodium (and retired the Red Tip and EJ instead).

Rider likes this.
  10. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I don't understand. Why do you consider a DE as being safe around little ones but an SE isn't?

11. Rider

Rider Member

You are correct that they are equally safe, I was thinking more hone-able (is that a word) blades.

12. Rider

Rider Member

Thanks for the info on the red tip, that is what I really wanted to know.