Maggard MR8

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joelio, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Anyone have one? It says it's a long, heavy (150 gram) stainless handle. I was considering buying the Jaws for the head and the MR8 for the handle since Maggards doesn't make an open comb. Anyone have a weird modern frankenrazor like this?

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I've seen that one, but I'm not sure about the shorter handle. The MR8 is the same thickness, but longer (its as long as the RazoRock Mission at 90mm/3.5 inches) and it's also stainless, not chromed brass. I do have the Name Taker on my list though :)

4. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

That is an absolutely beautiful razor! Any idea how aggressive the straight bar version would be? Now that I have started wet shaving (using the Razorock Mission), I am contemplating another razor...this looks like a winner.

5. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the Name Taker or the Maggard MR8? The MR8 is only available in a safety bar, but Maggards says the aggressiveness is about like a Gillette Tech. I've got a mission and it's too mild for me :p

6. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

My wrong...I was referring to the Name Taker...that is just awesome!!! Aggressiveness?

7. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I went ahead and ordered an MR8. I think $30 shipped is a great deal for a heavy stainless handle, even if I just end up using my cadet OC head with it. It was literally marked as shipped with 10 minutes of my order. Phenomenal service so far!!

8. Maggard provides GREAT Customer Service - I just ordered the MR3 over the weekend - should have it soon.

Adonis likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I just saw the MR8, what a nice looking razor! Great price point also.

10. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Yeah, it looks pretty awesome. I've got one coming that should be here by the end of the week. I probably won't use the head, but I'll put my Cadet OC head on that monster handle!
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Adonis and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

My Maggard MR8 arrived today! Here's some eye candy :) the MR8, the MR8 compared to the RazoRock Mission and the TP-30B from Cadet. It's a MONSTER!!! Can't wait to shave with it today (using the Cadet OC head)
    image.jpg image.jpg

cubancigar2000 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

That Maggard MR8 is a sweet looking handle. And you say it's SS. Guess I'm going to have to check on them..:)

EDIT: You gentlemen are such d*** enablers. :happy097: I just now placed an order for a MR8 handle!! Like I need another razor handle!! What can I say I'm just weak, weak, weak!!:sad023:

2nd EDIT: I've used my MR8 with a Weber DLC, Cadet OC and a Merkur R41 shave heads. While I found the R41 overly aggressive with a MR8 handle, the Weber and Cadet OC head worked GREAT!! The MR8 is HEAVY, you can really feel the weight. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    tuxxdk likes this.
  13. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Used the MR8 handle paired with my Cadet Open Comb head today. Here's my attempt at a review:

This was, quite literally, the best shave I've ever gotten. Smooth, comfortable 2 pass. I had a DFS after the first, but I'm going to a wedding so I went for the second and it paid off!! BBS everywhere, including my neck (which I can never get BBS).

The weight of the MR8 is impressive, and I swear my arm is a little sore after using it! The open comb has been my favorite for a while on the TP-30B handle, this handle makes it that much better. No pressure needed, smooth as can be! If anyone is looking for a stainless steal INCREDIBLY HEAVY handle, bypass the bulldogs, golliaths and other comparative lightweights and get yourself an MR8!

PRE: Hot Shower
    SOAP: RazoRock for Fine American Blend
    BRUSH: Liojuny 26mm Silvertip "Alaska"
    RAZOR: Maggard MR8 handle with Cadet Open Comb head
    BLADE: Gillette Silver-Blue (2nd use)
    image.jpg

178-bplatoon, tuxxdk and Bobcat like this.
  14. fmckinney53

fmckinney53 New Member

How's the aftershave??..Nice handle you got there.Frank

15. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Fine American Blend is my every day AS now. I love the stuff. It smells... Just... Clean. It's pretty awesome!

16. fmckinney53

fmckinney53 New Member

That's great. Did you buy this from Maggards?? I will have to try this aftershave.Frank

17. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

I have a webber bulldog handle paired with my DE89 head. Is the MR8 longer than the webber? I'm really tempted to order an MR8 just for the handle lol. Looks like a roll of quarters! Is the knurling deep?

18. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

The knurling is pretty dang deep. Not a slippery handle in the least! I don't know how long the bulldog is, but this one is 90mm long and is about as big around as a dime!! This thing weighs 6.5 ounces!

19. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

I just ordered an MR8 thanks to this post!

Joelio likes this.
  20. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

No, I got mine from the Fine website, www.fineaccoutrements.com