Open comb or closed comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mxsloan, Aug 18, 2014.

1. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

I decided to give the 33C a try and man do I love it. It has a good weight which will help this newbie with my technique. Good grip on the handle and a mild razor, which is more aggressive than the Feather safety I been shaving with. Will restart my 30 days with the Merkur to get my technique down.

Timelord likes this.
  2. Chef Bill

Chef Bill Member

For my money, you can't beat a 1930s Gillette NEW. I prefer the short comb, barrel handle version. They're pretty easy to find - you can probably pick one up for about $30 or less.

20140825_191200.jpg

Doryferon, FacialCarnage and mxsloan like this.
  3. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

I'll check it out new time I go to my local shop. I have a Merkur 33c I'm trying out. Next will be the Merkur 1904 OC.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Another good choice if you'd like to give a mild vintage razor a try is the Gillette "Fat Handle Tech". It's a mild but effective solid bar razor and usually can be found on ebay for a good price. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

I have a razorock jaws. I may change out the handle to my Merkur and give it a go

6. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

For me the Merkur 15c is a good OC razor but I prefer the Gillette New razors. I find them milder than the Merkur or other brands of OCs I own. To me the long comb New is one of the mildest OC razors I've ever used.

7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

If you believe the Aggressiveness scale on the Badger and Blade website, then the RR Jaws is a 6.5 and the Merkur 1904 OC is way at the bottom. The Parker 24/26C OC is right in the middle. I have an RR Jaws which I moved to from an EJ89 and have been happy ever since.

8. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

I got the murker 1904 as an anniversary present last week. I gave it a try and I live it. A little more aggressive then the 33c I have been using.