Where to buy a safety razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by craa349, Sep 3, 2014.

1. craa349

craa349 New Member

New to the whole wet shaving and I have an old schick injector razor that belonged to my grandpa. I want to buy a safety razor but can't spend hundreds on a razor any suggestions?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You can try eBay, ItalianBarber I'd suggest and Edwin Jagger DE89 super razor at a super price. Also pickup a blade sample pack.

3. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Check your local antique malls/stores and flea markets.

I have found nice razors for as little as $3. The hunt is half the fun.

Send me a PM with your shipping address and I'll mail one to you. You can find decent blades at drug stores and some beauty supply stores.

BigMark, RaZorBurn123 and geeeyejo like this.
  4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Schick injectors are good razors. There are tons of options for DE's. Edwin Jagger 89 is a good mild razor, also getting a vintage Superspeed is a good cheap option. You can literally spend as little or as much as you like. If you give a target for how much you want to spend, I'm sure you'll get a lot of good suggestions.

SRNewb likes this.
  5. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Read many posts on the forum and decide what you like- search EBay for Safety Razor and sort by ending soonest- find an affordable DE and snipe it last moment- plenty of great vintage razors out there for around $10 shipped...

Boojum1 likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs011:

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

There are a lot of inexpensive DE's available online. If you absolutely must have one right now, you can get a Microtouch One at a lot of stores like Walgreens, Target or Walmart. They might be in the As Seen on TV section, not the shaving areas.

8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Try that injector!

Boojum1, SRNewb and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

10. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    You really should try your granddad's razor. I think an injector could be a great starter razor. Just make sure to read up on getting started and watch a couple of videos. Even if the videos are for DEs, the principles are the same. The feel is different, but you have nothing to compare it to. Many of us really like injectors!

If you are looking at the whole thing and trying it on a tight budget, there are a couple of good suggestions >here <.

NOTE: I saw today that https://www.bestshave.net/ seems to have lost its web lease! Oh, lack-a-day! :angry017: I so hope it comes back.

KnockOut Shave likes this.
  11. craa349

craa349 New Member

Thanks for all the input my injector was the early model made from 1933 to 1945 I am going to give it a try along with my great grandpas boar ever ready 150 brush he had.....I have to get soap and I'm picking it up Friday along with alone pre shave oil from the art of shaving store....it's local and the soaps there seem pretty good.

Omelmad likes this.
  12. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Good advice in this thread. My first razor was the Muhle r89, with is the same head as the Edwin jagger but different handle. For you it's probably cheaper to go with EJ 89.

First soap was Palmolive shave stick, and I still use it from time to time. But with MUCH better results than when I used it the first couple of times hahaha

Don't be discouraged if the first couple of shaves doesn't go so well. There is a learning curve, and when you get a good technique you will have great shaves! =)

13. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Someone in the classified thread is selling an Edwin jagger 89l for 25$ shipped conus. Check it out?

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

First off :signs046: to TSD "craa349""

While I'm a(3 piece) DE guy and I don't particularly get a good shave with injectors(I think that's in part why I never warmed up to cart shaving in 34+ years:)), the early model Schick injectors are nice shavers(I have several) and since it was your grandpa's razor and so means something to you personally, if I were you, I'd make grandpa's injector my first razor :happy088:.

You can find blades online or in some drug stores, I'd recommend getting a pack of Schick blades if possible, with Personna as my second choice.. As far as soap and a preshave go:
    Van der Hagan Delux shave soap can be found locally at many/most drug stores, it's a really good soap and inexpensive. I store my soaps in small Ziploc hard containers, they are inexpensive, easy to find, and seal well. Any type of bowl or coffee mug can be used for mixing a nice lather.
    As far as a preshave I use Corn Huskers Lotion, it works as well for me as either Proraso or Jack Black and it's a "TON" cheaper. If you don't care for it or it doesn't work for you, you haven't got a lot invested.;)
    I use Nivea sensitive post shave balm after my final rinse and then put on my aftershave choice of the day.

But to actually answer your question "where can you buy a razor inexpensively"? Amazon, shaveabuck, ebay are just a few sites that come to mind.. If your wanting to go SS and willing to spend more money, then Weber will give you the most bang for your buck IMO.:shaver

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.:)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011: Lots of good advice in this thread.

16. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

A "safety razor" can be anything from the earliest Gillette, Eversharp-Schick and ASR razors right up to the latest Gillette Fusion and Schick Hydro, which means there are hundreds, if not thousands, of choices out there that won't cost you hundreds of dollars.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Boojum1 likes this.
  17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Check out Maggard Razors for some really inexpensive, relatively descent razors. They also carry name brands.

Boojum1 and SRNewb like this.
  18. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I would +10 that. I have their MR6. It is a really well made modern type razor. I have no desire to go further than Maggards with the modern design. In fact, might get a few of their other models, like the MR3 and MR9. Same head, different handles. The shave for me is the perfect balance between mild and aggressive.

Joelio likes this.
  19. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:sad024: Don't tell me no more #6 brushes!!!! :shocked003: