Technique for the Neck

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Tee, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Tee

Tee New Member

Hello All!

I'm new to the Shave Den, and I started traditional shaving about two weeks ago. I have to say I was very skeptical that this ancient method of 1 blade shaving would work, but I have to say that it does! Even though I've only tried a couple different blades, the Astra blade and my Merkur 34C are doing great.

The only problem I have is below the jaw. I get an awesome close shave, but just as much irritation as with cartridge razors. I'm sure it's my technique because above the jaw is spot on. Any suggestions?

Tattoobob likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Everyone's face is different, but I have two generic solutions.
    1. Stretch your skin, whatever that means for you.
    2. Try cold water shaving. Just whatever comes out of the cold water tap. It is refreshing, and less irritating to the skin.

3. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Hi, I'm new too ... I'm doing straight razor shaving but have a similar issue ... It's all good except when I get down to the are left and right of Adam's apple... Here is what I've tried ...

Learn hair growth direction in that area - this has helped a bit
    Pre shave lotion... Mine comes In the mail today
    Proper prep with warm towel and or after shower

I'm looking forward to what people say bc I dread doing that area

4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Mapping the direction of your beard growth is essential. Then practice and don't be afraid to try different techniques. The adams apple area is a place I've learned to accept a small victory and not push it. Kinda like being married.

Spud, Bristle Me, Metro and 2 others like this.
  5. razrmnky

razrmnky Active Member

I agree. The neck can have crazy direction changes and it different for everyone. Everyone needs to figure it out for themselves so they know if they are shaving with, across, or against the grain otherwise they could end up being severely irritated.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'll throw in prep as a key to an irritation free shave on the neck for me. If your whiskers are soft, it'll be easier to take them off and you won't have to go over places as many times. You can also use less pressure.

Bristle Me and markjnewcomb like this.
  7. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

I'm engaged so I should learn this lesson quick I suppose :)

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Plan ahead, be smart, be patient and gentle, don't keep going over & over the rough spots, and thus, you'll avoid unwanted irritation.

Good shaving and marriage counsel….;)
    :angelic013:

cubancigar2000, CyanideMetal and JPJ like this.
  9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Shave your neck a couple of times per day (or as often as you shave) for at least 30 days and I'd be willing to bet you that you will figure it out.

Spud, Bristle Me and CyanideMetal like this.
  10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    After a couple hundred shaves you will know what to do and what not to do.

Spud, Bristle Me and CyanideMetal like this.
  11. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

For 2 WTG passes on the neck instead of WTG/ATG yields acceptable results.

Bristle Me and CyanideMetal like this.
  12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

13. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

My neck whiskers generally grow in the diagonal direction of upper left downward toward lower right. I say "generally" because there are so many outliers it is almost impossible to shave exactly with hair direction on my neck. So, I approximate. What I do:
    Pass #1: N-S: is actually a mild XTG (more WTG than ATG)
    Pass #2: S-N: is actually a strong XTG (more ATG than WTG)
    Pass #3: Right to Left: is actually a very strong XTG (close to AGT, but not quite).

This 3 pass approach gives me outstanding every day reduction in a comfy way. On some days I will do a 4th pass going lower Right upward diagonally to the left (ATG) for a BBS. Note: be sure to use plenty of good lather.

14. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

My neck area is often a source irritation as well, but I have found the 2 most important factors are Prep and Pressure. Use a good prep routine, build a generous and protective lather, and do your best to not push it...your technique and touch will improve. Don't try and attack a BBS result. Only you know your face best, so listen to it.

I have added a good PSO, I dont over extend my blade use, and I use little to no pressure at all. Using an alum block will give you instant feedback. It takes a little time, but once you have it dialed in, it feels great.

Bristle Me likes this.
  15. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

- feeltheburn

- HolyRollah

- JR Reyes

:signs011:

16. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I've found that the cap has to be more flat against my face than i originally thought. It looks counter intuitive, but works.

Technium and Drygulch like this.
  17. Shriike

Shriike New Member

This was a lot of good info. My neck is the area I have the most trouble with. I've actually started doing one less pass on my neck when I shave to avoid nicks

18. JediSpam

JediSpam New Member

good stuff

19. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

New also. Less then the "30 day " typically use the 3 pass method with good results. I agree strongly that prep is very important. I soak a cloth in hot water then wring out and hold it on beard. Softens up nicely.

20. Technium

Technium Active Member

Mapping the grain on my neck took me from severe razor burn, to much more comfortable shaves instantly.

CyanideMetal likes this.