Advice on properly adjusting a Gillette Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dark Vapor, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

I recently won/received a 1959 E3 Gillette Fatboy razor on ebay. This is my first Fatboy.
    I'm seeking advice on the proper way to adjust the razor, I don't want to damage it.
    I've seen videos where the blade was tightened down and then adjusted, and other videos where the bay doors were opened prior to adjusting and then tightened down. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I open the doors, adjust, close and lock. Is that the right way? Don't care, that's how I do it.

3. Hardlyanic

Hardlyanic Active Member

4. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Do not adjust after it is tightened as I believe that it can damage the mechanism...

Dark Vapor and Herm2502 like this.
  5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

:signs011:. I leave the doors open and adjust then close it up.

Dark Vapor and Herm2502 like this.
  6. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I now have 3 adjustables and have done a lot of research on them before I picked up my first. You need to loosen the doors before you adjust the settings or you will damage the inner workings in time. Take your FB and open the doors. Then move the adjuster to 1. Looking at the razor very closely from the side move the adjustor up slowly to 9, and watch what moves. As you can see if you did this with a blade loaded and the doors closed all the way you would put a lot of pressure on the works. If you now put a blade in an close the doors part way make the same adjustments and you will see that the blade angle gets changed by bending the blade, and the blade gap to the bar changes. That's what makes these razors so great. Enjoy your Fat Boy.:eatdrink047:

Dark Vapor, Herm2502, rp_63 and 2 others like this.
  7. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Lots of people say to open them before adjusting.:signs002:. I adjusted a Slim closed and nothing bad came of it. I did sell it off in a couple of weeks though. But think how long the previous owner owned it and who knows what they did to it. Saying it will damage the razor if adjusting while closed is hearsay. Look at the original instructions, the step of adjusting comes after loading/closing the razor. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/18811-Hi-res-Gillette-adjustable-manual-for-download! look at post #10 for the instructions.

wm_normal_GilletteAdjustableInstructions.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Dark Vapor and Boojum1 like this.
  8. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011:

Dark Vapor likes this.
  9. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Here is a copy of the instructions for a Gillette Adjustable. As I said enjoy your Fat Boy and if you are careful with it I am sure it will serve you well.:happy088:
    image.jpg

Dark Vapor, Boojum1 and Adonis like this.
  10. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

I adjust with the doors open on my 73 black beauty. I got this advise from many here and I've seen mantic say the same in his video on adjustables.

11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Open or closed it just seems less "stressed" to adjust the razor with the doors open. I have 5 (,58 Fat Boy, '58 Exec, '65 Slim, '70 SA, '75 SA) and always leave the doors open.

Dark Vapor and Bobcat like this.
  12. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I adjust with the doors open...just makes sense to me and my razors appear to like it.:happy093:

Ed

Dark Vapor, Boojum1 and Bobcat like this.
  13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Doors open...........

Dark Vapor and Boojum1 like this.
  14. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I adjust both my Slim & Black Beauty with doors open. I mean, why risk it? Doesn't make sense to me ;)

15. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

And just to play Devils Advocate...

in this Gillette commercial, the razor is adjusted AFTER closing doors LOL

16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between adjusting with closed doors and adjusting with closed doors after the final 1/4 turn lock-down.

It is certainly up to each how they take care or their razors. I will continue to adjust mine before the final lock-down.

17. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

Thanks to everyone for the great advice, I really appreciate it.
    It does make more sense to me to adjust the razor with less tension on the blade and mechanism. I have yet to shave with this FB, but I'm going to adjust with the doors open and then lock down.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    ObiDon and Adonis like this.
  18. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Gillette knows best.. Believe that they recommended that it be tightened after being adjusted. Why take a chance, it's only remembering to do it.

Dark Vapor and Bobcat like this.
  19. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Play it safe and enjoy that razor - set on 7 gives me consistent great shaves.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  20. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Reading the instructions and watching the video, I'm thinking Gillette didn't think it mattered either way. Maybe it doesn't affect the razor. But, it sure is easier with the doors open. Sometimes it's pretty tight when they're closed!

Dark Vapor and fram773 like this.