Polisilver Super Iridium - Does anyone else not like them?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gwsmallwood, Sep 18, 2014.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of great reviews on these blades, but don't know if I've ever seen a bad review. I've shaved with one in my 37c the past two days, and the results weren't as positive as I had hoped.

They felt extremely sharp to me, and extremely smooth while shaving. But I end up with razor burn. I'm really not sure how that happens with a blade that seems so smooth during the shave. I feel like a lot of people have this experience with Feathers. I had no idea what they meant until now. I've never had an issue with Feathers.

I'm definitely going to try these in some of my other razors, because they felt way too smooth to just give up on. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences with them.

2. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I wanted to love these also, but they are meh for me. It also drives me insane that there are often wax dots right on the blade edge.

3. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Yeah, I didn't love them either. Same razor, 37c. They fall in a category for me where I have to pay extra close attention to avoid irritation, and yet they don't even give me that great of a shave. Most of the blades in that category for me are ones lots of other people love: Polsilver SI, Black Ninjas, Personna Labs and Rapira Platinum Lux.

Rafifafi and 178-bplatoon like this.
  4. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity New Member

I tried them and the were OK, not overwhelmingly great. Top 5 but not one I would necessarily buy hundreds of.

5. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Just send your wretched Polisilver blades this way and I will dispose of them in the most horrendous way possible.

Tattoobob and gwsmallwood like this.
  6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Thats a big +1 from this guy. More than willing to trade you if you end up not liking them.

7. gwsmallwood

I only had two tucks to start with. One from www.tryablade.com and one that I got in a PIF. Since it's such a small quantity, I'm going to hang onto them in hopes they'll work in one of my milder razors.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The only thing that keeps me from using the Super Iridiums full time is the price and the fact that I can get Israeli Vikings Sword blades for "ALOT" less and they work almost(99.9%) as well as the SI's for me and VS's don't have those d$%^* wax spots.:)
    Since I just spent a week with a 37C and had a far less than pleasurable experience with the it(an SI was one of the blades I used with the 37C), I'd blame the razor for your problem.:happy102: The 37C just didn't get along with my face at all!!:( Before you give up on the SI completely try one in a Gillette Fat Handle Tech, an EJ89 or a Weber DLC.
    Don't invest a lot of money just get a blade or two, in fact if you'd like a couple more SI's to try out just send me your snailmail addy and I'll send you a couple more to try.
    Your face may simply just not get along with the SI's, thats the problem I have with Feathers. No matter what I've used them in, I get irritation. Life's too short and there are too many other good blades out there to suffer with one that you just don't get on with..:happy088:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Omelmad likes this.
  9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Incredibly sharp,
    but also a bit rough.
    I tried them in a Merkur 15C,
    and the 1904 OC.

Thank God for witch hazel!

Thayers WH w_cucumber.jpg

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  10. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I tried the Super Iridiums, which I think are the same as the Polisilvers, and the shave was a good one for me, but by the time I tried them I'd been using the Feather blades for a while and was getting really good results there as well, and the extra $10 or whatever it was per 100 didn't much seem worth it to me. In fact I think I probably still have a few of the super iridiums left as I think they came in packs of 10.

11. gwsmallwood

I just went for shave number 3 today. I rarely take a blade past 2 since I'm a head and face shaver. It was better, and feels like it will be good for shave number four tomorrow. I saw a post on another forum suggesting to start a Polisilver in a mild razor and work up the razor aggressiveness with each shave. I think it might be a worth trying based on my experience with this blade. I feel like I might be able to get 5 or 6 shaves out of a blade if I did this, which is twice as much as I normally get with any other blade.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought 50 but I wish I had not. Don't work for me and yes the glue is a pain

13. Razorsnake

Razorsnake New Member

I have a pack but haven't had a chance to use one yet. They are pricey , like $2.50 for 5 blades if they don't work for me I'll stay with the Feathers .

14. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have the same result as Mr.Smallwood.
    A sharp blade, but a little too rough on the face.

15. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I love them but absolutely hate Feathers. I can only get one full shave out of them before they go south like a flock of Snow Geese. I read that if you get a good shave from a blade but the aftershave stings excessively it means the blade is too sharp for your skin.

178-bplatoon and BigMark like this.
  16. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Seriously, message me if you don't like em. We'll work it out.

Mouser likes this.
  17. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I love Polsilvers, it's Feathers I don't like and I don't have but one or two of them left laying around somewhere.

18. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

I recently got some polsilvers to try out, and they're now one of my favorite blades. you have to be a little careful and use no pressure. I do a real nice 2 pass shave with them, super sharp.

If you wrote them off try them again and slow down. rushing with them will give you weepers.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  19. Razorsnake

Razorsnake New Member

They are next in the mag. The trigger gets pulled tomorrow so we will see how they work I figure they can't be any sharper than a feather and feathers are my staple.

20. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

For me the PolSilver Super Iridiums over all were not to bad and did a really good job. I much prefer the Perma Sharp Super blades (Russian card board box). The Perma Sharp Supers are the best I have found for my skin and beard beard type. They are very sharp and very smooth, smoother than the PolSilver Super Iridiums in my opinion and they cost less and they are every bit as sharp. I found the super sharp Feather blades that a lot of guys love (very sharp but way to rough on the skin)

All these sharper Blades listed were all used in my Merkur 34C and my Muhle R89. I tend to like my Merkur 34C best even though it's not a pretty.

Good Shaves To All,
    Bill G

178-bplatoon likes this.