Better Razor Storage

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by HolyRollah, Oct 8, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My master bathroom (or 'den' as we like to refer to it here :D) has always been a challenge for me in keeping most of my shave gear in order without crowding out my wife with piles of my shaving paraphernalia. I solved part of the problem of storage space here in this thread: Click here to read.

My plan at that time was to configure my vanity drawers in such a way so as to help keep the vanity counter clear of the majority of stuff (razors, razor racks, tubes of creams, puck cans, etc.). Well, I finally got around to starting that job—which took much longer than anticipated due to my left hand's limited use this past year. I'm happy to report that Phase #1 (drawer#1) of a 4-part project has been completed.

Here's what the 'new & improved' CLEAN vanity top looks like. Nothing but my brush carousel and a jar or two of MdC. Everything else is tucked away….
    [​IMG]

For the top drawer, I wanted to make my razors accessible so I created a way to safely store them, yet keep the access easy and convenient…

When you pull out the drawer, accessible are a week's worth (7) straight razors. The drawer frames are made of solid oak and alder. I used green felt to pad and line the sections.
    [​IMG]
    Top view looking straight down at the…straights. To determine how large the 'pockets' needed to be, I took my largest and smallest razors to find a practical average that could accommodate anything in between.
    Seven razors on the upper level; nine razors on the lower...
    [​IMG]

How about a DE razor shave? Slide back the top level and you reveal the storage for the DE razors. This section will hold 3 to 4 DE razors comfortably, plus room for razor blades, additional razor heads, alum block and handles…
    [​IMG]

The upper SR section is also removable, which can be handy for taking razors to the honing table or to the workbench for some repair...
    [​IMG]

so Phase One is complete. I anticipate the the other 3 drawers won't be nearly as complicated or involved as this one was. Needless to say, my wife is very happy not to have to look at counter top clutter…and so am I. I told her I'd do the same for the drawers on her side of the vanity.
    Happy wife = happy life! ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

Only part 1 is complete? Wow...What could possibly be left? Beautiful job!!

HolyRollah likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Den Master! Stunning! I love everything that you've done. :happy088::happy088:

HolyRollah likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I bet those Techs feel awful small and puny in that drawer.

HolyRollah likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

ha! Thanks. I've seven more drawers to work on! These will have to wait a few weeks while the wrist heals!
    True. But I still like the techs…and the fact they dont take up much room….:D

SRNewb likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is great. At least it is not going to fall off the wall.

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Maybe if I had some of those gorgeous razors Mike @entropy1049 has, I'd consider mounting them on a wall display! :happy088: My wife, however, prefers that I keep my razors in the drawer.

entropy1049 likes this.
  8. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Winner! And you get extra points for keeping your bride happy:eatdrink047:

Radiotube and HolyRollah like this.
  9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Just so that everyone will know, I've been going to @entropy1049 's place the last few days,
    and we've got that razor display case set in place on an appropriately engineered re-enforced
    concrete footing. It's been a chore, especially driving those 16 inch I-beams down to bedrock, and then
    getting the steel purlins all welded into place.
    But, at least now he won't have to worry about wood screws or sheet rock anchors pulling out.
    Now the only thing he need fear is earthquakes above a magnitude 8.0 !! ;)

Oh, Kevin

:signs107:

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

What a "FANTASTIC" job you did Kevin!!! Your not only a Straight razor craftsman, but a Den craftsman as well!! :happy088:

HolyRollah likes this.
  11. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

It wasn't the actual I beams that upset the neighbors, I think it was the ironworkers eating lunch on their lawns. That, and the security detail.

I hate that wall cabinet so much.

Bristle Me, ObiDon and HolyRollah like this.
  12. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Really nice job man ... Well done

HolyRollah likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You did rehang it, didn't you?
    Problem is—if you did—every time you look at it will be a reminder of that fateful day…. :(

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One change I did make on my original design for the straight razor 'mobile' rack was to increase some of the padding. Celluloid, metal & oak are a bad combination of hard surfaces so I added additional felt to the wedge end to soften the containment. Less 'rattling' going on when the drawer is opened and closed.
    It is now, as my then 5-year old son would exclaim, "...much more better than before…" :D
    [​IMG]

15. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I rehung It alright...

[​IMG]

Every time I look at it I am reminded This Too Shall Pass. Helps me remember that things that are initially quite painful dull with time. Lemonade from lemons...works for me anyway...

SRNewb, FacialCarnage, ObiDon and 3 others like this.
  16. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Mike dude I noticed your strops is that a collection or do you use all of them to strop a razor after honing?

17. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Kevin very nice job dude! I bet your wife has a grin on her face now ...maybe she will allow you more gear since you are making more room...I do believe you have more shavers than whiskers.

18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Did you make these yourself. It is great craftsmanship and design. Looks great.

HolyRollah likes this.
  19. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Ok. That's impressive.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
    HolyRollah likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've seen several variations of these type of drawer liners online and so I figured I'd sketch up some ideas for layout...
    [​IMG]

I had plenty of leftover solid oak laying around after I made this box for a razor hone, and I didn't want it to go to waste…Had just enough of it to finish the job, supplemented with a little alder.
    [​IMG]