My first scuttle - a picture story

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ScruffyKreep

ScruffyKreep New Member

Very nice scuttle!!!

New to wet shaving, but definitely need to pick one of these up! I really enjoy the warm lather feel on the neck at the barber shop. Would be nice to have that feeling at home for the face.

Thanks for Sharing

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks. I like mine a lot.
    I do want to clarify that the scuttle in my photos is the #005 which is the medium sized one - there are smaller and bigger ones. Whatever works for you :)

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

For anyone interested in Robert's scuttles he opened up the site today (April 21) for next month's orders: http://www.rabfeatsofclay.com/

And...reading his post is this the end now?

"
    I WILL TAKE AROUND 25 ORDERS STARTING ON APRIL 21. THOSE LAST ORDERS I WILL BE TAKING. I WILL BE GONE A LOT THIS SUMMER SO I AM NOT TAKING ORDERS. I MAY OR MAY NOT TAKE SOME IN THE FALL. /.../ I AM RETIRED AND DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS FULL TIME. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUPPORT. "

Ugh.

Maybe I should just wrap mine up and keep it as a collector's item :)

Unfortunately for me I love using it...to the point I was considering ordering a 2nd one...'just in case'... but decided against it. The 32 or so dollars I paid for mine has been some of the best razor-investment I've done.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    2grubswrestle1 likes this.
  4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I
    I would highly recommend sending him an e-mail. I had emailed him due to his previous announcement saying he may retire. About 3 months later he sent me an email saying he was making more and asking if I wanted one. It is worth an email.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, that post I referenced was posted today so he is taking orders for next month for sure.
    But reading the rest of his post it seems like he may...or may not....take orders in the fall.

Just stoked I got mine. Love it.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Actually emailed Robert and asked what his plans were for this year and this is his reply:

"I will probably still make some but not as many and I will probably just be putting them on Ebay after summer. Going to take several trips during the summer so do not want a bunch of orders staring at me. thanks!"

So the sky isn't quite falling...yet :)

markjnewcomb likes this.
  7. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

I emailed him....he had on the website that he was not taking any more orders in April for the large scuttle....I hope that was before he started taking new orders...I want the large Scuttle.

Fingers crossed! !

markjnewcomb likes this.
  8. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Must have crossed the fingers just right or at the right time.........email from Robert!!

"You just made the list. Down to the last 5 orders. I will let you know when it is finished"

Better get your order in!!

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Congratz!

I like his 'gentlemen agreement'- way of doing business.

You place the order.
    He goes away for 2-3 weeks and makes it.
    Sends you a couple of photos and asks if you like it.
    You then pay :)

10. nascarfandan

nascarfandan Active Member

I was lucky enough to get my order in this morning for a large scuttle. Now gotta wait till it's done.

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think mine took about 3 weeks but I also remember him writing that sometimes the weather is a factor as well.

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Noticed this post on Robert's site today. I wish him all the best. Seems like a great guy and have been producing some amazing scuttles.

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011:

Here's the Becker travel scuttle (model no. 11 in Cactus Sand) that I use nearly everyday. I face lather and use the scuttle to keep my lather warm between passes. It works great and doesn't require a lot of counter space. I also have one of his larger scuttles (model no. 1 also in Cactus Sand) for bowl lathering, but I haven't tried it out yet.

_11_cactus_sand.jpg [

Darkbulb and markjnewcomb like this.
  14. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

Congrats! I love mine. Mine doesn't have the lip like yours....I think it would help keep the lather in the bowl a bit better than mine. I end up lathering my hand, the sink, the counter....and then my face. I justify it by saying I'm cleaning the counter. It was interesting for me to see what creams, sticks and pucks lathered up better in my scuttle. Enjoy.

Darkbulb and wristwatchb like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I believe that he is selling one of his travel scuttles on eBay right now for $33 w/ free shipping.
    Not sure if it's the same as yours though :)

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks! Enjoy your Becker scuttle as well! Your comments encourage me to start using my larger Becker scuttle for bowl lathering! I have hesitated so far because it takes up so much counter space, and face lathering works well for me.

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I still face lather about 75% of the time, but I really enjoy having the opportunity to bring out the scuttle on some days as it really a quite different experience.

18. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

My first scuttle was made by Robert. Loved it! I gifted it to my brother because he wanted to try one. I ended up getting one from another artisan and I love that one too, but I point interested people to Robert just as much. My friends who have tried Becker's scuttles have also recommended him.

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Looks great! Enjoy!

Darkbulb likes this.