Help with identification of an unbranded razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shotwell, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Anyone got any ideas as to what this is?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414078912.583098.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414078925.446872.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414078982.568432.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414079003.905830.jpg

178-bplatoon and Roderick like this.
  2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Control your RAD man!

Bama Samurai and Shotwell like this.
  3. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Sick handle. Just looks like another Gillette Old Type copy from some random country at the turn of the century.

Roderick likes this.
  4. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

+1

5. Hardlyanic

Hardlyanic Active Member

Dont know,,,but I like it!:bounce015:

SRNewb and Shotwell like this.
  6. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

I cant help identify it but I do like that handle.

7. tave

tave Member

Very nice find. The handle is outstanding!

8. Shotwell

I'll let you know how it shaves. It should arrive this week.

SRNewb likes this.
  9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would say it is German. They had a lot of knock offs and the handles were mostly fat and stubby

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have a feeling that it comes from either directly east or southeast of Germany. Maybe a Russian or Eastern European make.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It think that is a Faux Gillette Placebo. Accept no substitutions.

SRNewb likes this.
  12. Shotwell

I will have to investigate further once it arrives. It says there are no markings... But I pride myself on my detective skills.

(iPhone tried to correct that to "defective skills." Which is probably true, too.)

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Another vote for the handle. Not too keen on the crudely machined teeth, though. Look like they might snag.

14. Shotwell

Actually I didn't think the teeth looked too bad. But time will tell.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414367821.108446.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414367830.336299.jpg

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

They look fine; just what looked like a tiny little bit of burring left on some of them. Probably won't be noticeable but if it is, they'll file off easily.

16. Shotwell

That's what my Dremel is for ;)

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That'll do 'er!

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well I'm definitely with the group. That handle is bad a**! The knurling looks fantastic!! In fact the whole razor actually looks very nice to me. I'm very curious about the weight.
    I'm with GD on the providence, I get a very East Germany/European, USSR vibe from it. It's very substantial looking. It could be made of SS. Where ever it came from if it shaves good it's a keeper ;) However if you ever want to PIF it, let me say now I'm in..:happy102: :happy088:

GDCarrington and SRNewb like this.
  19. Shotwell

It arrived today. And it is in fact VERY substantial. The handle is even heavier than I hoped. As for the comb, it did feel a little rough when I ran my fingers along the edge, (perpendicular to the handle) but not so much in the line I'll be shaving. So I took the trusty dremel to it and think I was successful in softening the corners of the teeth just a tiny bit. Now it's all lined up to be the SOTD for tonight.

Gave it a test "dry run" already to see if it was going to butcher me, and all indications seem to point to it being a very mild shaver with good blade alignment and gap.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414459184.081229.jpg

The knurling on the handle is grippier than anything I've felt yet. Like a mace. Pretty sure you could grate nutmeg with it. It feels industrial. Chunky. Cold. I like it.

And I agree, overall, it feels like something made behind the iron curtain. I feel like I should drink a shot of Stolichnaya before trying to use it. I think it's going to need a name... Something Russian and intimidating. I hope I don't eventually learn that it was made in some place like Iowa. That would spoil my fantasy.

I'll report back on how it shaves!

178-bplatoon and GDCarrington like this.
  20. Shotwell

Mystery solved! It's a Soluna from Czechoslovakia, likely made in the 1960's.

I found a similar one quite by accident and this led me to be able to identify the one I have. I was searching for "Polsilver" on eBay to see if I could find a deal on a small packet of blades to try. And lo and behold, the first listing that appeared was for a Soluna with a pack of Polsilver blades! :)

So... It's good to finally be able to put this mystery to rest. And now I can put a product name to my one unidentified razor in my den!

178-bplatoon and GDCarrington like this.