Beginner stropping questions

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A month+ ago I won a gorgeous straight razor here, restored by our very own @HolyRollah

[​IMG]

I shaved with it 2-3 times and I really enjoyed the concept (even though my lack of experience resulted in a rather uncomfortable 'choppy' shaving experience).

BUT, I really want to give this a go so I went out and got myself a leather strop:
    [​IMG]

..and well, now I'm ready to 'get started'.

I did some homework courtesy of YouTube.
    Watched a number of videos including this one:

Even so, I got juuust 2-3 questions to get off my mind before I start as I really, really want to make sure I don't do anything wrong (I'd hate to hurt the strop, the razor and my face (priorities not necessarily in that order...).

Assumptions and Questions
    1) Pre-treatment of strop
    I've read in a few places that you don't really need to use anything on your strop - just rub it warm with your open, clean palm whenever you can.
    My assumption is that that's all I need for the leather side. Please correct me if I'm wrong here :)

2) The actual stropping
    Ok - so I think I understand to go 'light and slow'.
    My strop is 2.5 inches across so that means I will have to do an x-pattern.

Thanks @HolyRollah for the images below, I think they do a great job showing what I will end up doing:

For the x-pattern:
    [​IMG]

These two images I think were great as it seems important that I keep the spine on the strop:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SO...I think I conceptually know what I will be doing:
    slow, light strokes in an x-pattern keeping the spine on the strop.

3) Number of strokes - and leather vs canvas?
    Do I always use both the canvas and the leather side?
    (I'm not 100% sure on the benefit from stropping on the canvas side).
    Is there a preference in using one side before the other?

If so - how many strokes per side?
    Say: 20 up and down on and canvas followed by 50 up and down on the leather?

Thanks in advance...and hoping to get stropp'n this week like a big boy! :)

45auto, JPJ and macaronus like this.
  2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Just shut up and do it already. :eatdrink013:

macaronus likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Excellent! :happy096:

Here's my response to your posed questions:
    1. Palm-rub only. No oils, no lotions, just your natural hand 'palm' oil. Rub the strop until you feel some warmth on your palm. Stop.
    2. "slow, light strokes in an x-pattern keeping the spine on the strop." Yessir!
    3. This is an individual preference. I usually do about half the number of strokes (one stroke = one lap up & down the strop) on the canvas/linen side that I do on leather. Me? About 25-30 canvas/linen; approx. 50 leather; before each shave. On a newly-honed razor from the shop, I'll do 50/100; initially.
    Take it slow. 50 laps will take a while for a beginner—or seem like forever. but just consider it practice.
    Good stropping makes a HUGE difference in the keenness of the edge and quality of the shave!
    :shaver

45auto, JPJ, Darkbulb and 2 others like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yes ma'am! :D

[​IMG]

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks!
    Noobie follow up question...how do I actually know that I've stropped enough/well?
    Right now my technique is very lacking when shaving so I have a rather 'choppy' experience when shaving.
    Going forward how will I know if that continues because of poor technique..or poor stropping?

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

25 canvas/50 leather is plenty of (enough) strokes. The whole concept isn't so much about actual numbers; you're simply ensuring a good alignment of the blade edge.
    Some do a hanging hair test (HHT); other do a thumb pad test (TPT). The edge, post-stropping, should be quite a bit 'stickier' on the TPT than prior. This is a good simple indicator.
    Best indicator: does it feel smoother on the face than before?
    BTW: the choppiness may have more to do with an under-developed technique than possibly the edge. It'll still take a number of shaves before you really feel comfortable. A sharp, well-stropped razor will help in this regard.
    But theres no quick way about it other than to shave with it daily…
    another BTW comment: many beginners, as I am told, tend to either go TOO light on their initial forays into stropping or TOO Firm. Too light and the results are meaningless; too hard and you'll roll the edge dull. Quite the quandary! You'll know when you've got the hang of it as the blade will feel sharper to your thumb and your face! Watch a few vids and listen to the sound some of the stroppers are making. That's an audible key as to how firm they are stropping. I started too light, but as I listened to Glen & Lynn strop, I was emboldened to strop firmer...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Darkbulb, macaronus and lindyhopper66 like this.
  7. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I agree with Kevin, except I started using a leather conditioner on my strops lately. A strop maker in Asheville told me for the leather not to dry out and to last, the strop needs oil. He suggested neat's foot oil. I use Howard Leather Conditioner with carnuba wax, lanolin and orange oil. I don't think you need to put oil on when you first get a strop, but I could be wrong. The strop maker says the leather can last for a very long time if cared for with oils.

As, to canvas and leather, I know some people who skip the canvas or linen or cotton strop and go straight to the leather. I prefer starting off with linen and then leather.

After I shave I dry the blade with a towel and then strop it on the towel briefly and then strop it on my pants briefly. Later I'll strop and have it ready for the next shave. I think stropping on cotton can get rid of whatever soap residue may be there and then the linen strop is said to warm up the blade before you go to leather. I'm not sure if that's really the case.

Darkbulb and macaronus like this.
  8. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

30/60 canvas leather for me. I think 20/20 was a lot when I started. Go slow and light. Better too light and not dull the edge. Pay attention to the spine. It comes in time. You can practice with a butter knife on your arm or pants leg to feel where you are putting the pressure

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Just be mindful and keep the spine on the strop at all times. The details will fall into place from your own experience and no one else's. It's really not at all tricky or esoteric and plain ol' common sense is your best guide, as ever.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

I love that spine on strop video ... I saw it a while ago and it helped me ... It's funny how easy stripping is but when I was first doing it I had similar questions which are all answerd now ... Have fun

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Honestly, this is something I've never had the desire nor opportunity to try...at least in public. :D

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Slow, firm strokes with little pressure?

13. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Auto correct ... ... Maybe

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Just posted this advice elsewhere the other day :)

There are basically 3 stages of stropping that everyone goes through

1. Trying to do no harm
    2. Doing no harm
    3. Doing the edge some good

Everyone has to do that progression, we all have gone through it at one point in time..

Myself I was taught way back in the Dark Ages (Pre-Internet) to use the linen and to use it quite effectively, I find it to keep my edges in shape for stupid amounts of time doing 20 ish on linen and then 40ish on Leather before every shave.. Once you get to stage #3 many things that were plaguing the comfort of your shave, will be of zero consequence...

45auto, Darkbulb and HolyRollah like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So Glen, you admit to being a Stage 3 Stropper!
    Is that legal in your neck o' the woods? ;)

Darkbulb and gssixgun like this.
  16. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

One of the biggest things I think in beginner stropping is the "no pressure" thing. You might also have a tendency to kind of torque your wrist a bit, putting more pressure on the edge. This is the reason for the "keep the spine in contact with the strop" advice, to avoid this. The edge of the razor should run flat on the strop, with no pressure pushing it into the strop.
    I would also recommend you do at the most 50 passes in the beginning. I would even recommend around 30. The reason is that you will be learning, and your hand will fatigue faster at first until you get your technique down, which can cause improper technique such as adding pressure, torque, etc. Make sure you have plenty of time when you start a shave, so that you are not rushing through the stropping portion. Go real slow, get your technique down, then add a bit of speed and more passes as you develop your technique. I still strop slow compared to a lot of guys, I'd be willing to bet. It's not a race.

Darkbulb likes this.