Do you own a razor you've never used?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have a Merkur 41c "1904" open comb that I picked up on B&B for OC-tober, but...

2. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Yep! I have a GEM Micromatic that I've just about finished cleaning up and a Schick E (I think) type that both need blades before I can use them. I also have two and a half straights that need some restore/honing work

3. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Yes I have a couple. Just haven't got around to them yet.

4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Sure do.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

So for all of you, us, that do have razors that we haven't used yet...assuming they are in functioning order...how about we use one of them this week? :)

macaronus likes this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'd love to, but for some crazy reason I'm in the NO-vember challenge. Can do in DE-cember!

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As I said, the ones I have and not used are duplicates of ones in my rotation. No need to use 'em.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    No, I don't, but if any of you have some razors you haven't used send them to me. I will give them a try for you.

Edit: I just remembered, I have a Krona coming in the mail today. Obviously, I haven't used it yet. However, even though this is NOVember, I will be using it for my second pass tomorrow.

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

An old Cooper 3 piece open comb; it takes a proprietary blade no longer available to my knowledge.

10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Well now I need to amend my answer. I have a Segal I haven't used cuz it needs proprietary blades (yes, I know common DE blades may be altered to fit) and a Valet I forgot was sitting on a shelf.
    I really like that Segal, and may tinker with some blades someday, the handle is nice.

11. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

L3 slim adjustable...waiting oh so not very patiently for my initial 30 shaves to be completed...this Thursday is my 30th shave, Friday it shall be put to use

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    macaronus likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Just arrived. I will give it a go tomorrow for a second pass. My first Schick Krona.
    krona19.jpg

maltedmilk and ObiDon like this.
  13. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have a fat boy I have never shaved with. (I have shaved with the other one.)
    I have 2 slim adjustables I have never shaved with.
    I have 4 old gillette open combs (old style) that I have never bothered to shave with.
    And I have 3 straights that need honing before they can be used.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have 3 Gillette slim adjustables & a parker 26C and a 1938-1940 gold tech that I have not used

15. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I have over a hundred and fifty I haven't used. My RAD has outstripped my usability pacing. That and the fact that I have only been DE shaving since march, it is better to learn technique than switch off often for now. I figure it will take several years to learn how each ones personality with all of the razors I am storing now, much less future purchases. :ashamed001:

That is a possibility..

macaronus and ObiDon like this.
  16. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Finally someone with a worse case of RAD than me.

Herm2502 and macaronus like this.
  17. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

150? WOW! Are a lot of them investment grade that are duplicates that you will never use. I actually could get to 20 or 30 if I did that.

18. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

At first it was grab what I didn't have (a lot obviously). Then it was get the best I lucked into in last minute auctions and antique stores. Then I went to razors not to high on people radar (ladies miniature as an example) Now it is find the best quality for the lowest price in a box. Right now it is a fascination with Durham Duplex, Gem and Ever Ready 1912 and 24 SE razors. and of course haunting every flea market and antique store I can get too. Not to mention brushes, ceramic blade banks, shaving mugs (not mustache or tea mugs) and strops and blade hones.

19. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

The only one for me right now is a GEM bullet tip I won in a PIF recently. I'm just finishing up my blade trials with my NEW and then I'm trying out the GEM next week.

Misphit likes this.
  20. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Cool! I know what you mean! I am a junkie for anything Old Spice, and I enjoy the hunt. Good luck:happy069:

macaronus likes this.