Ball End Tech - $$$$$'s

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Professor Yaffle, Nov 7, 2014.

1. I've been looking out for a really nice English made Tech and took the plunge on an impulse purchase. I now fear this is a bit too expensive, even considering it's condition. Any advice appreciated.

It's undated and in a leatherette type box with the velvety lining. I assume this would be newer than a razor in a Bakelite box although still a pre 1948 razor?

It's definitely a plated brass, ball end tech in super condition but:

Is it worth $100?

I have a return option and would appreciate any and all advice. I've wanted a really nice Tech for a long while but would rather wait a bit longer if I've made a dumb decision.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If these pics aren't good enough I'll put some more up tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Yaffle

178-bplatoon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Return it immediately.

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Return it my man. 100 is way to high.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Maybe $25.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It's worth what you pay for it, but the market price for that razor should be significantly lower than what you paid.

6. I suppose I put too much emphasis on finding a near mint Tech rather buy a perfectly good $15 to $20 model.

I've never bought a razor and felt a tinge of regret before but even though this looks and feels great I look at it and think "what have I done here"!!

:signs081::lam: :signs081:

It's going back, that's decided but that aside does it look "right". I havn't seen Techs boxed like this, the pre dated ones normally seem to be Bakelite boxes.

Thanks again for the advice.

Yaffle

7. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I paid $37 for this Tech NDC with the box the razor is like new, the box not so much. That was with shipping.
    image.jpg

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Wait a minute! You must have liked it to have paid $100. Who cares what anyone else says, if you like it, keep it. And enjoy it.

9. BigMark

Check out Mr.Razors website.

Professor Yaffle likes this.
  10. ObiDon

11. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

Man its a great looking razor. You have already pulled the trigger at $100. A razor in the wild normally would more than likely run you 20 to 35 dollars. But that means you have to start the search all over. Is it really worth it?? If you like it man why bother.

Shotwell, SRNewb and Professor Yaffle like this.
  12. Isn't an English Tech worth a bit more than a US made model, plus it's a proper case?

I'm not saying that makes it $60 more, just getting a grip on it.

Thanks RazorBurn123, yes, I liked it when I first found it. Whilst I 100% agree it's worth whatever someone will pay, I admit this was an impulse buy and don't really want to think I've screwed myself on it.

I don't blame the seller for asking that money, I wasn't forced to buy it.

Fortunately I can post it back for a refund and wait for another to crop up.

Yaffle

RaZorBurn123 and youngunn like this.
  13. ObiDon

If you are happy with it you should keep it. The English versions are worth more and you got a case and blade bank, with blades.

Bristle Me and Professor Yaffle like this.
  14. Mine is definitely no date code, but it does look similar.

It's a super set, no blades in the blade holder but that doesn't worry me.

I'm not even quibbling about spending $100 on a razor, it's not the first time and certainly won't be the last.

I have 30 days to return it in unused condition so I don't need to be rash.

A few of you have started saying if I like it then keep it, it's definitely a question of time and effort to return this, find another, wait for it etc etc. Plus I have 3 days growth that I'd been saving for this to arrive and slip in a Feather!

Also, considering I have mint condition razors that I'll never even use which is better value anyway?

Yaffle

15. ObiDon

To tempt you more, the are nice mild razor.

16. BigMark

To mild.

17. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Ten years from now what you paid won't mean a thing. If you look after it you will always have a really nice razor in your collection. Just something else to consider.

SRNewb, youngunn and ObiDon like this.
  18. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

A razor is worth however much you will pay for it.

It's a great looking razor, me personally, I would have gone as high as 50 on it, but I'm in a restricted budget. But if you have the money keep it by all means.

For example, the Wilkinson Sword 7 Day I just bought on the auction site, I put my high bid in at 85.85. I was prepared to spend that much, that's how much I liked it. Got it for 44. But the point is I loved it. If you love yours then keep it. It's hard to find beautiful razors.

Shotwell and Spud like this.
  19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

We are swarming here in British Tech's whereas the US ones are nowhere to be found.

RaZorBurn123 and youngunn like this.
  20. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Your original question was, "Is it worth $100?" The answer is no despite people suggesting you keep it anyways.
    We've all been guilty of wanting something so bad that we succumb to an impulse purchase.
    I wanted a FatBoy for so long it was killing me and as soon as I got my hands on one, lo and behold, they were popping up all over the place. Then I wanted a Slim and now I've got four of them all of a sudden.
    I've got three (3) NOS Ball End Techs and paid less than $20 each. I've shaved with one of them and the other two still have their paper blades in them. The oldest is a 1958 but even still, you've spent more than necessary.
    If you want to keep it, keep it, but as soon as you see another one it's quite probable you're going to wish you hadn't been impulsive.
    Another option is you could find a nice US version and make a trade with Martin @tuxxdk

jeraldgordon and Shotwell like this.