Hart Steel razor wont stay tight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by cubancigar2000, Nov 20, 2014.

1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a couple Hart Steel razors and as far as shaving goes I like them both. I am lucky enough to have two with good quality ( it took sending one back but the replacement was fine) The problem I have with one of them ( the 7/8) is it will not stay tight. In the process of moving the blade in the scales for the different shaving positions it comes loose and I have to stop and tighten it. Just wondering of any of you Hart folks have solved this problem. I was thinking of a tiny lock washer??

2. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Lock tite blue. Worked like a charm for mine. Just a drop. Set it where you want it and leave her be for a few minutes before opening again.

entropy1049 likes this.
  3. cubancigar2000

If I use the blue will it still come apart when I need to? I use Teflon tape on the threads of my choke tubes on my shotguns and it works but this is a really small pin

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I was able to get mine apart. I did use blue on an ar-15 that was bugger tight when I tried to remove it

Blue is medium strength. You could use low strength if you are worried

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There are two different "Blue" Locktite formulas

#242 - Normal Application
    #243 - Oily or Wet Apllication

The #243 can normally be found at "Real" hardware stores, auto parts or tractor parts houses.. One drop will hold for quite awhile.. IME

6. cubancigar2000

Thx Glen. I just bought some at Wally world and wouldn't ya know it is the 242. I will look for the 243 at my local tractor supply. I was looking for the milder purple but nobody seemed to have it

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I doubt there is all that much difference :p

I lucked out when I bought some a few years back and got the #243

8. cubancigar2000

I used the 242 today so we shall see if it works. I did clean up the threads good

gssixgun likes this.
  9. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I say pin it. A proper razor is pinned.

:)

10. cubancigar2000

Maybe so but I like being able to take them apart and clean them. When I re pin I use micro screws. Just my quirk

11. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I understand...

I have a few bags of micro fasteners. Tried them. Don't like them other than for test fit and build-up work.

I have two razors with fasteners of various config and they get loose all the time. (Robert Williams & Brian Brown). If I am going to loctite them, I figure I might as well just pin them. Just my quirk. ;)

12. cubancigar2000

I buy the micro fasteners and file them down so there are no rough edges but I leave enough of the hex to be able to tighten them and never had any come loose except the Hart factory ones

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This sounds ideal for your needs! :happy088:
    I've found in handling the 'micro-parts' I prefer to use a good-quality, bent needle-nose pliers. The cheaper pliers are a pain (don't align properly or have gaps), and since I quickly grew tired of fumbling parts with my fat fingers, I opted to make the investment. Sometimes I still use the bare fingers to manipulate those tiny washers, nuts and bolts, but these types of pliers remove much of the frustration.

[​IMG]

14. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

For the Hart hex fasteners it's a 5/64" hex wrench for the 6/8th & 7/8 razors, and a .050" hex wrench 5/8" razors.

The blue locktite sounds like the real trick though.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014