Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Discussion in 'Aftershave Reviews' started by southernscribbler, May 1, 2011.

1. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

After all of the rants or raves about this stuff, I decided to buy a bottle and give it a try. I was very Leary when I opened the lid, afraid that I would be overcome by the fumes of the stench, cat urine to be exact. Maybe my nose is dead or dying, but I didn't get that smell. It IS potent with a strong medicinal tang to it, of a rotting vegetation, but not gut wrenching.

When first applied, it is very strong and almost overpowering. I get the statements of others saying that they were ready to jump into the shower after application. But, I am not doing the stuff justice with all of the negative undertones. Give it a chance to dry down.

After it dries down, then the blooming of the lilac appears. The final dry down, to me, reminds me of popping the lid off of a brand new can of Play Dough.

If you give it a chance, it is quite nice. For 7 bucks, what the heck, why not give it a try, and judge it yourself. Not the best, but not the vile rants that you may have previously heard, either, IMHO.

Erik Redd likes this.
  2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Honestly--thanks, but no thanks

I bought this stuff once in Florida when I was there on vacation visiting my parents, and the 1st time I used it, my mom said "Jeff, sweety--that stuff smells awful!" I swear, I could not agree with her more--it really is not for me. OK, the price is very good--in fact it's the only thing that's preventing this review from being a total disaster, but it doesn't go any farther than that. It burns me badly, and there is no real skincare from it. I have since given away the bottle to a friend of mine, and I won't buy it again. :(

ChiefShaver likes this.
  3. Obviously I love it! Out of the bottle it smells like alcohol and old salad. Agreed, not what I would want to smell like but once splashed on the skin it transforms into a gorgeous fragrance that smells like, in the first minute, like a greenhouse or meadow in summertime, then the true fragrance sets in, a lovely lilac and powder barber shop scent, very masculine. Soothes and makes the skin feel great.

dscaver likes this.
  4. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Simply love it. It's in my regular rotation.

5. Your friend that you gave the bottle to, did he like it?

6. Rock the veg! That's what I like to hear!

7. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Sometime, try this. Spash on your regular amount of the Veg, then, as soon as it dries, spash on a somewhat smaller amount of regular Clubman, overtop. I find it makes a wonderful and unique mix.

8. Will definitely try that. The two as splashes I've mixed was clubman bay rum and pinaud lime sec, I really liked it. I've also mixed stephans bay rum and island lime. Very nice as well. Lilac vegetal and clubman is my fragrance for tomorrow. Thanks man.

9. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Don't forget to report back, and share your impressions.

10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Just ordered a 12oz bottle from my local Walgreens...I've been ordering my GEM Stainless blades from them and some Pinaud Vanilla aswell as Special Reserve. No 'in store pick up' has taken longer than 3 days, soooo...

I've been an instigator in some "Veg" debates...and I love how polarizing this classic is but I have yet to actually smell it.....Sooooo

I've bumped this thread, and I'll be reporting and reviewing soon....In the meantime....What do you all think?
    Alot of new faces and I'm sure alot of new thoughts on our most classic, longest in production After Shave in the World.....This tread hasn't been touched in over 3 years....lets hear some chatter....!

dscaver likes this.
  11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'm a fan. It's a great spring/summer scent.

Bama Samurai and LookingGlass like this.
  12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

The Veg is a paradox.

Over apply to warble the parabola.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Best to wear it outdoors in the Spring or Summer. Indoors, during the Winter months, wearing it might be lethal. ;)

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Questionable scent in the bottle.
    Great scent on your skin.
    I like it a lot.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

As a bonus it allows you to pass through hordes of zombies without being molested.

16. adam24201

adam24201 Member

I would love to try it and the lime sec

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Mr. Shaverman

No it doesn't. You're going to get someone killed.

Bama Samurai and cmorris357 like this.
  18. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I can honestly say I have never been bothered by a zombie while wearing Veg.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  19. Mr. Shaverman

Hmm.....

20. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Love it....nuf said.:happy036:

Ed