Is this a good razor to start learning to shave with a straight razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Ceferguson, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm not one of our straight razor guru's, but I don't think this razor is anywhere close to being in "good condition"! The edge looks terrible, it's WAY over priced IMO, definitely not shave ready,the pins look bad. As I said I'm no expert, but I feel with a little more hunting you could find a razor in "MUCH" better shape for "LESS" money...:) Also generally speaking unless your getting a razor from a known sharpening guru such as our own "gssixgun", you should always assume your going to need to get the razor sharpened to shave ready status. :)

Spit_Fire, gssixgun and Ceferguson like this.
  3. Ceferguson

thank you very much

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

run and do not pass go

gssixgun likes this.
  5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Celluloid rot has started with that blade. If you get that you should replace the scales right away.

At least that's the way it looks to me.

gssixgun likes this.
  6. Ceferguson

Thank you for the help I will pass on it and try to find one here

7. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The razor could have the start of a frown as well, if not a warp. It is such a narrow blade at 4/8 that if you needed to hone the frown out you'd have nothing left to shave with. Lot better deals out there.

8. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

This razor reminds me of the song "What do you do with a drunken sailor?" There's a refrain, "shave his belly with a rusty razor", and this would be just the one for it.

9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I am going to link you a thread that I did a few years back on SRP specifically for beginners that insist on shopping Vintage razors on e-bay etc: ...I do not recommend it until you don't have to ask the question you just did :p

http://straightrazorplace.com/beginners/65405-beginners-tips-feb-2011-a.html#post736914

That thread will illustrate much for you and any beginner shopping for used razors..

Please ask if you have any other questions

Ceferguson likes this.