Bidding on EBay

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by imGrunt, Dec 7, 2014.

1. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

I just figured out what's going on with ebay.
    I had a max bid if $12 and got outbid, ten minutes later I got a notification that I was the high bidder! Now I'm curious.
    What they are doing is bidding outrageous high in order to see what the max bid is and then they retract their bid so one minute before the bidding ends they can bid slightly over you.
    No more bidding on the bay for me.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You can't retract a bid.

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

How do you retract you bid? I didn't even know that was possible. Yes, its extremely frustrating to get sniped right at the end, but if you stick with it, you will win some. I have gotten lucky by thinking outside of the box with searches.

4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Truth...something wonky is going on though. I you're determined to abandon eBay however, thanks, one less potential obstacle to my RAD.

5. Yeah.. I buy a bit from ebay and I don't think what you're proposing can be done..
    at least not more than once without getting booted.

6. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

Yes you can! If the bid is $12 they are bidding $120 and claiming they made a mistake but only after seeing what the max bid is! It's happened to me 3 times now and today I called and they confirmed a mistake can be retracted.

Search the help for retracting a bid.

Bama Samurai and GDCarrington like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

No, that's not what happened as you can't retract bids like that.
    (You can retract a bid but it will have to meet certain requirements that are not always easy to meet - I seriously doubt that there is any sort of scheme going on here.).

A sniping tool - readily available - would be able to do the same thing and with a whole lot of less work

8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

That's a lot of hassle for a $12 item. Some humans just suck.

9. RaZorBurn123

If bidder A has a max bid of $12. And I really want this item, I could set my max bid at $100. Bidder C comes along and bids $12.50, my bid goes to $13.

So your $12 bid isn't out bid by someone bidding $120. No. $12.50 unfortunately I buy a lot on eBay. I know the game oh toooooooo weeellll

icemanwbs and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

Sorry I mentioned it!

11. RaZorBurn123

You don't need to be sorry, I've never seen this happen. If it's happening to you let eBay know. It's definitely not right.

Bama Samurai and GDCarrington like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think it's more of 'We all know there are a number or reasons to maybe dislike eBay (some logical and some not) - but this might not be a real issue (even though it might have come across as a potential one) - so don't let this be a reason for you to stop using eBay'

People here mean well. :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

No, I want you to stop using eBay.

Radiotube, youngunn and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wish someone could stop me.

jakie55, Omelmad, youngunn and 3 others like this.
  15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I wouldn't deprive myself of the pleasure of bidding and winning. That lot of yours in the other thread is a prime example of my eBay jones. I love taking relics and cleaning them up and either adding them to my collection, or flipping them. At least when I am the seller, the buyer gets a pretty good razor.

icemanwbs and Darkbulb like this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

On two occasions recently I was the high bidder with less than 5 seconds left. I was not at my max bid by a few dollars. Suddenly I lost by .50! What?

17. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I am confused:shocked029::signs002:

Ed

18. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

If you're like me and just don't have time to watch the bidding, the current bid is $12 with 2 days to go and you make a max bid of $53. I check my personal email and 24 hours before the auction ends there is a email that I was outbid and the very next email was I'm the high bidder due to a bid retraction. Now I get a emai that said sorry it got away for $53.01.
    All I can say is wow what a coincidence but then again I'm not a ebay expert because apparently you cannot retract a bid.
    Most of the purchases I make on eBay are buy now and it's not a big deal but I was just trying to make people aware of it.

19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Then simply set up a sniping bid at 50 cents over your current bid. Or you could offer well below what you think the item is worth, and then go in a minute or two before the auction ends and greatly increase your bid. Say to a little less than the item is worth to you. At least that way if someone outbids you, it will cost them more. It will likely deter some last minute snipers because it will exceed the maximum they are willing to offer.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

A lot of people don't play fair, they use a tool that's called sniper. It'll automatically set you up to win the bid, by .50

Bama Samurai and Herm2502 like this.